Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Summer Reading

It's almost here!  I can almost taste the homemade ice cream, BBQ chicken legs, and watermelon!  In about one month, we mothers get to sleep in, swim, and do everything in our power to avoid hearing these three words:  I AM BORED!  So, let's get a little work done on the front end and get some reading material ordered for those little developing brains!  {Or just start a little library check out list!}  These are some tried and true favorites in our family.  I have read many but not all.  My little men can vouch for the rest.

Age 14 or so plus:

1.  Quest for Celestia by Steven James (love this book! James takes the concept of Pilgrim's Progress and writes it in his super fast paced/thrilling style.  Great Christian allegory! A very fun adventure for boys and girls alike.)


2.  The Space Trilogy by CS Lewis  (I read the first, Out of the Silent Planet, and loved it.  Cade is halfway into the second one.  Can't go wrong with Lewis regarding adventure and pointing us to the Savior.)

3.  A Long Walk to Water (Cade read this in class this year and thought it was great.)

4.  The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis (I reread this when I am in the throes of warfare...such a reminder of what the real battle is.)

5.  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (One of my favorite young adult fiction books ever.  I can't wait for Cade to read this one this summer.)


Age 10 or so plus:

1.  Hatchet by Paulsen (Eli loved this book and from what I understand, it is definitely a boy-loving book.)

2.  Old Yeller  (need I say more?)

3.  The Phantom Tollbooth (fun little adventure)

4.  The Hardy Boys by Dixon (I think Cade read every single one of these and Eli loves them too!)

5.  The Book of the King (series by Jerry Jenkins...a Christian adventure for littles!)



6.  All of the baseball books by Gutman including Ted and Me.  (Eli read all of these books...they are good at incorporating some history.)

7.  A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle.

8.  My Side of the Mountain by George (two books after this one as well)

9.  Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul (Ok, this is a series of 5 books.  Buy them!  Read them!  The best books Eli and I have read in awhile...such good Christian allegory! I think Cade and Sam will want to read them as well!)



Age 8 or so plus:

1.  Saved at Sea by Walton

2.  The Action Bible (this book is great if your kids like comics or don't love to read!)


3.  Adventures of Mohan by Grove

4.  "I Survived" Series by Tarshis...these are good little reads full of history


Age 1 or so:

1.  Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site

2.  Little Blue Truck

3.  The Jesus Storybook Bible by Jones



I would just LOVE to hear about some favorite books in your household so I can get my lists started! Send me some adult faves, too!

1 comment:

Little Oak Table said...

LOVE THIS!!! I am always in for tried and true books for the kiddos!!!! Thanks for posting!