Friday, September 12, 2014

The Counterfeit Garden


My mini garden (aka: front yard landscaping) is a hodgepodge of whatever the previous owner left behind.  Lucky me, that includes Lantana and Gerbera daisies.


I noticed the craziest thing this summer.  Despite our efforts of spraying a bunch of weed killer and laying down fresh mulch, the weeds still come right up.  But what really blew my mind is that the weeds take on the form of whatever they are growing besides.  Right beside the yellow Gerbera daisies sprouted weeds that had very similar leaves and even long yellow flowers!  Right beside our fern thingy came up a weed that looked eerily similar.  Now, since I don't have a green thumb, I really had to get on my hands and knees and sort through what was real and what was counterfeit.



I've contemplated a lot about the Osteens and other Christian leaders that throw in just enough scripture to make their platitudes sound true.  But, what if they are not the real deal?  What if they are just yellow weeds that look like yellow Gerbera daisies?

I have thought about slander and how my words can cast someone in a negative light.  I don't want to do that here.  What I want is to tell all believers to be cautious.  One of the sneakiest places the enemy can show up is the pulpit, mixing just enough truth with lies that he stumps our little minds and knows if it sounds true, then he has us in defeat and chains. It is the very tactic he used on Eve in the garden. It is so imperative that we know our Bible for ourselves, not simply based on what someone tells us on Sunday mornings or a television channel. Get on your hands and knees and sort through what is counterfeit; the Holy Spirit will show you what is real!

I recently read a status update from a friend in college that totally berated evangelicals and my heart just tore.  She loved Jesus big back then.  What along the way has disillusioned her beliefs?  I pray and pray and beg God to show Himself to her in the true way.

I've thought about my own life and how I am thankful I am not in the spotlight where my words and actions can be dissected under a magnifying glass.

But that isn't really the case, is it?  We all are a witness to whether or not God is who He says He is. We are all representing the King and influencing someone.

God is so brave, to enter into us and expect mere humans to be a part of the display of His Kingdom.

So brave.

On my prayer journey, I have felt led to pray for the Saints (hagios: set apart, sacred, different...) to be convicted of hidden and open sins.  I had to start with myself, and it is a continual and daily taste of bile. Why is sin so beautiful and tasteful when you cherish it and yet so hideous when it comes out in the open? Only the light of Christ can show us what sin really looks like on us. Only Jesus can tear down the weeds and implant the true garden.



No comments: