Monday, November 17, 2014

The Kingdom of Heaven, Hand in Hand

Sobs broke through the iphone.  My mother in law, Barbara, was crying and that couldn't be good.  "Get over here fast...you guys will want to see this." I threw the casserole in the oven and we all bundled up to head over there for a God-moment.

Cars lined the street.  A half sob escaped as I realized what was occurring.  Droves of people had come out to pray over Herb and this thing called cancer.  They stood, hand in hand, in a huge circle that covered the whole front yard.  There had to be close to 50.

It was maybe 40 degrees and already starting to spit some sort of misty precipitation, but here they were.

The pastor who married us, a friend who lost her Daddy last year, a doctor who not just administers medicine but prays for God's healing, a friend for Cade, a friend for Eli, photography clients, couples whose marriages were saved due to sound counsel, women who have joyful marriages thanks to Biblical wisdom offered, a best friend to Barbara, and little children bundled up living in the reality of this one thing:  prayer is important enough to sacrifice for.

Each person was there, begging at God's throne, asking for one simple thing:  take away the cancer because we aren't ready to lose our friend, husband, mentor, Dad, Papa, teacher, counselor, brother, son. He means too much...please not yet, Lord.

It was August that God called me back to "school" to learn about prayer.  He has taught me that I should set aside my own selfish comforts and pray for His glory and majesty in all things.  He has told me it is ok to ask for big things.  He has comforted me with the fact that even when I don't know what to pray, He is interceding on my behalf. How profound...a God who prays for me.

But, last night, He gave me such a sweet visual.  The body of Christ was encircled on soggy ground, shivering from the cold, offering sweet incense to the One above. We were many souls and yet one in Christ.  The Spirit of the Living God resided in each person.  It was the Kingdom of Heaven hand in hand.

I was undone.

Undone in His love for each one of us.  Undone in this thing called cancer and how it strips one bare. Undone in how He administers care and grace towards us, often through other people.

{We await the majesty and glory of the Lord.  We welcome Him and pray for eyes to see.  We praise God for His beautiful story that is unfolding in grace by grace moments. We breathe in our holy God because that is our only breath.}

If you have prayed on the soggy grass or in your comfy chair or as you have drifted off to sleep, we thank you and believe your prayers are effectual and sustaining us. God bless you for blessing us...





2 comments:

Kelli said...

Wish we could have been there to link up with you. But we're linking arms in Florida, and we have a lot of people joining us here as well! Waiting in expectation!

Wendy said...

Becke, you just took me to church. Thank you for including us in your family prayer circle today. Praying for Herb and Barbara, their sons and the rest of your loved ones. God is presently teaching me to ask for healing for those I know who are suffering. It's a new thought for me. But I'm planting it deep down and choosing to believe. And ask.