Thursday, December 31, 2015

America {No Longer Beautiful?}


On this last day of 2015, I wanted to give a small synopsis of the last six months in regard to the spiritual state of our nation.  To say that I am heavy hearted would be an understatement. Over the months, I have found myself with tears streaming down my face, literally grieving a nation that was once called "The Beautiful."  When I look around at the nation as a whole, I see anything but beauty.  If beauty is absent, then God's blessing on our nation must be, as well.  He is the only one that can bring true beauty upon a soul or nation.  Nations aren't beautiful because of the landscape but because of the truth and freedom that radiate from the inhabitants.

As a whole, we are not free.  As a whole, we are not true.  As a whole, we are not beautiful.

At the end of June, God started showing me things regarding our nation.  I had the audacity to ask what was on His heart and He was faithful to show me.  Regarding our nation, God made it clear that our nation was so far from the true vertical that collapse could not be prevented.  The book of Amos talks about the plumb line, if you want to study this concept.

In August, God showed me that our nation is similar to Babylon when Belshazzar was ruler.  Daniel (whose name means "God is my Judge") deciphered the strange handwriting on the wall and told him the kingdom had been numbered, numbered, weighed, and divided.  Read Daniel 5 for further study.

In September, God had me study the book of Ezekiel.  I learned about the concept of "searching Jerusalem with lamps."  Ezekiel was shown all of the abominations of his people.  The idea from God was that perhaps if the people SAW their sins, they would repent.  (He is a merciful God and longs to show mercy and grace!)  All summer long in our not-so-beautiful nation, God searched us with a spotlight.  He brought hidden sins out into the open (such as the Ashley Madison website.)  He showed us our blatant legalization of sin when we spit in His face regarding the definition of marriage.  He exposed Planned Parenthood and showed us that we not just abort His image, we sell it off to the highest bidder.  (An organization that despite their revealed heinous sins, we as a nation will still continue to fund.)  God also exposed our political allegiances when we decided to give billions of dollars to Iran in a nuclear deal.  We turned our back on Israel in that moment and Genesis 12 says the end result for us as a nation will be a curse.

At the end of the exposure of all of these sins, there was a moment I thought we might repent as a nation.  Look how ugly we have become!!!  Surely, we see that we are spiraling out of control and about to fly off of the mountain.  But, sadly, we did nothing.  Perhaps a few individuals repented (praise God!) but our nation as a whole has refused to repent.  We have become our own gods.  I am reminded of the book of Amos where God tells the prophet to look at a basket of ripe fruit.  "And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the Lord unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more."  {Amos 8:2}  God is telling him that judgment is inevitable.  There simply was not a harvest of repentance after all the warnings.

While praying for a new word for 2016, I was a little taken back by what He revealed.  It's the first time He gave me a word that carries so much weight.  But, with the weight of what He showed me, I am reminded that His glory (which means weight in Hebrew) will be showcased.  Isn't that what we long for the most? What we long for is not the right Presidential candidate.  Even if "our guy" gets into office, we know that the weight of the world's problems will still not be solved.  We need a Good King.  It's time for a Righteous Monarchy, where Jesus reigns in the visible forever and ever. 

So, whatever lies ahead in 2016, I am going to remind myself that all of the burdens...all of the tornadoes and wildfires and floods and earthquakes and wars and rumors of wars and hunger and disease and job losses and ruin and broken hearts and deaths scattered here and there...I am going to remind myself that all of these point to a Savior coming soon (very soon!) to make all things right.  The very earth is begging for His return. Shouldn't we, as well?

In 2016, I am going to force myself to rest in Jehovah Sabaoth, the Lord of Hosts.  "The Lord of Hosts is with us, though the earth be removed , and the waters roar; and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.  God is and must be ever sufficient for a ruined church as for a ruined world.  And the Church, because of the deposit committed to her, may need His help even more than the unbelieving world, which is yet so far from Him.  It is the Lord of Hosts who punishes His people for their unfaithfulness.  It is again the Lord of Hosts, who, when they have been chastened, smites their adversary and brings them help and full deliverance." The Names of God by Andrew Jukes.

If He were to slay us, would we still praise Him?

No comments: