Sunday, November 22, 2009

Festivities

We had ourselves a merry little time last night, putting up our Christmas decorations! Andrea Bocelli's new Christmas CD was playing in the background while we unpacked numerous boxes finding all sorts of treasures. Some things were a joy to unopen because I had totally forgotten about them in the span of a year!

We kicked off the night with our favorite meal: Giada's Chicken Florentine. (Well, Eric and I love it and we enjoy laughing at the boys choke down their spinach...but we made it up to them later with sugar cookies!)

A couple of years ago, we bought a mini tree, which houses all the froo-froo "Mommy" decorations. The large tree is our family tree which the boys get to decorate. It hosts all of the kid ornaments through the years. This first cross is, no doubt, on the froo-froo tree and serves as a constant reminder that Jesus came to this earth for a sole purpose: to restore his Father's children back to Him.





The above is our meek and lowly Christmas tree star. I used to want some huge shiny star full of bling, but God showed us that this star, made out of wood, is the perfect reflection of Jesus entering humanity. In his humility, Jesus left some of his glorious "bling" in heaven and entered a world full of sin and disorder so that he might be Immanuel, "God with us."
I can remember my first Bible study by Beth Moore, called, "A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place." It is still one of my favorite studies because it showed me how the Old Testament points to the revelation of Jesus. How beautiful! While studying the Tabernacle and items placed inside, I learned that many of the objects that pointed to Jesus were made out of wood and then dipped in gold. Wood represented his humanity and gold his deity. So, I cherish my little wooden star. If I dipped it in gold, I might even like it more! HA!

Sometimes, it takes 2 kiddos to get the star on top!

So, we are decorated for the holidays and ready to enjoy the month of December. But, first things first: Thanksgiving!!!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Your husband needs to talk to his bah humbug brother. He won't let us start celebrating Christmas until after Thanksgiving and I'm chomping at the bit to get my decorations up!

blessedpath said...

So glad to hear someone else has their decorations up. We are putting ours up tomorrow. I have to work 12hrs on thanksgiving and will be too tired to do it the day after, which is when we usually do it. It is fun as the kids get older, they can do the whole tree!! Your decorations and tree look so beautiful!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your whole family!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun evening! The picture of Eric holding up the boys is so heartwarming. Thanks for sharing!
Love,
Bebe

Kirby said...

I guess I'm just another bah humbug brother, but I agree with Lee. Christmas comes after Thanksgiving.