Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Evangelist: To Be or Not to Be


Eli's soccer coach is always forcing them into situations where talent can rise and fears be stomped out.  Last night was a prime example.  Eli's 10 year old team had to play a 12 year old team...just for the fun of it!

I didn't get to watch (too many kids and too many sports, ha!) but Eric said it was amazing to see some kids cower in fear and others rise to the talent level of the 12 year olds.

And then I proudfully put on my "that's my son" hat when Eric said Eli scored the only goal against the Goliath team...one of those 12 year olds was over 6 feet!

One of the best parts of parenting is seeing the talents and gifts of your children start to rise to the surface.  In these moments, we give God glory and we teach our kids that all good things come from Him.

For Eli, God made him fast.  He can outmaneuver and out quick just about anyone on the soccer field.  We see real God-given talent in this area called soccer and wonder where God will take it.

All the sudden, I had a vision where God had called Eli to play soccer all over the world and that He was going to spread His name through this particular route for our son.

I know, the dreams we dream!

But, then I wondered...does Eli have the gift of evangelism (spreading the good news) or is evangelism a calling for ALL believers?

I can distinctly see in my mind a few fellow friends that have the blessing of evangelism on their lives.  They can simply sit down on a park bench next to a stranger, and the next thing you know, they have shared the gospel, invited them to church, and are getting to know them on a deeper level.

These people are generally extroverts who aren't afraid of what others think, tend to have a special favor with others, and love more than anything to strike up conversations with people they may not know from Adam...for the JOY of it.

This is not me.

But, it might be Eli.

What do you think?  Is evangelism simply a God-given talent for a few chosen or is it the expectation for all believers???

I think it is somehow both.  All are called to spread the good news (for me, in the quiet of my writing) and yet some seem to have a special favor in this area (hoards of people coming to church, ha!)

Thoughts???

No comments: