Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Overcoming Labels

I was young and impressionable.  He told me I was fat, had a large rear end, and thunder thighs.  It doesn't matter who.  What matters is that I believed him.

I was digging through old pictures yesterday and found myself painted across Polaroids and Sears portraits.  Braces and pimples:  yes.  Tightly permed hair:  yes.  Fat: no way.

But, I didn't see myself that way.  All because I believed the label.  The lie.



Ever since, I have always felt like the fat girl.  It's funny how that thinking spirals into other thoughts as well.  If I am fat, then I am not beautiful.  Not worth much.  Not fun to be around.  Lies.  All lies.



I have been trying to walk again.  Enjoying the cooler weather, I have even found myself breaking out into a run.  Immediately, Satan, the author of Labels, told me that I have no business trying to run.  After all, I hyperventilated in the 5th grade after being made to run a mile in Physical Education.  I remember blowing into a brown paper bag and believing the lie that said I should never run again.

I believed the lie that labeled me as non-athletic and that I should stay away from all things sports.  True, my natural gifting is not in this area, but it seems that believing that lie would set me on a course of not taking care of myself...the very temple of the Holy Spirit.  Seems like the Enemy was scheming that day.



I am larger than I have ever been.  I knew that after having a baby in my "older age" it would be harder to get the weight off.  I was right.  I have only lost a pound or two since Asher was 2 weeks old.  I thought it would gradually come off like with the others, but it seems my body is stuck. It is disheartening and all I hear from the Enemy as I stare at clothes that don't fit is, "You are fat."



I think before I lose weight, I need to come to terms with something.  I don't have to believe the label. I can refute the lie that says I am fat...and all the other labels that are attached to that.  I can choose to continue to eat healthy, exercise, and let the rest simply rest.  I can remember that my identity is in Christ and not something another flawed human said to me.

I wonder what labels you believe that aren't true.  Ask the Holy Spirit to show you.  He wants to come in and show you how utterly beautiful you are.  He created you for His splendor.  He wants to yank off the heavy chains that keep you from freedom.  The truth sets us free.

 

I think about my boys and wonder if they have been labeled by others.  Has someone told them a lie that they have to taken to heart, believing it to be their very identity?  Lord, give us wisdom to parent these children well, recognizing any false labels and speaking truth over them.  Give them  identities that are secure in who You have created them to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear sweet friend. Of course, no matter how many times I tell you you're beautiful, it's hard to forget the negative comments. It's hard to erase those from our minds. I think as females, we're so hard on ourselves. But you are a GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, LOVELY, BLESSED, PRECIOUS, AMAZING woman. Created by the MASTER himself, who makes no mistakes. Our eyes may expect certain things, but if we could only see ourselves through the eyes of the Potter, we'd fully understand that we are his MASTERPIECES. Beautifully created by God to do His good deeds and love others. Which, by the way, you excel at. Love you so much. And proud of you for realizing those thoughts are untrue and obviously not from our Lord. Miss you and hope to see you guys soon. :)
Kim