Saturday, October 25, 2014

See God {Day 25: God of Progress}


I heard someone say that the word joy was found throughout the book of Philippians so I decided to camp out there for awhile.  It seemed to be that the themes of joy and progression kept popping up.  And so I wondered if they might be related.

Do you ever feel stuck?  You look down and all you see is thick black mud threatening your ankles, pulling them deeper into the muck.  You know that if you continue standing still, the mire will eventually creep up to your neck, threatening your very next breath.  And, yet you are stuck.  Paralysis has attacked your frame and no amount of wishful thinking is going to yank you out of the entrapment.

 We need a Savior. We are simply helpless when left to ourselves.

There are many ways to remain transfixed in the same place.
We can revel in our past accomplishments and assume that since we made a difference for the Kingdom back in 2001, then we aren't needed in this hour.  We forget that the "gospel is too glorious to be content with past achievements."

We can remain fastened due to fear, allowing Satan to cripple us completely from experiencing abundant life.

We can dwell on past failures or disappointments, shouting to God that His grace isn't sufficient to carry us out.

All the while, Satan is snickering, knowing that if he can throw us into a pit without the hope of a lifeline, then we will lose all joy.

But, Jesus is our lifeline.  He wants us to progress.  Get unstuck.  He wants to restore joy.  He has a new song to give.

"I waited patiently for the LORD, he inclined to me and heard my cry.  He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.  He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD."  Psalm 40:1-3

Philippians 1:25 says "Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith."

The Greek word for "progress" is "prokopen" which means to advance, go forward, or profit.  It is a word reflecting mobilization.  I think Paul is saying that we are to be constantly pushing God's kingdom forward.  And to do that, we have to get unstuck. 

Jesus knows it is scary to be you. 

And that is why He offers freedom.

Will we cry out for it?

No comments: