Monday, December 22, 2014

Hungry {2014}

It's been a few years now, God laying a word on my heart to carry me through the upcoming year.  It becomes my theme or anthem that brings me another year closer to seeing His face.  This year, the word was hungry.  As I always do, I researched all the passages where the word appears.  But, like always, I try and skim over the ones that aren't as "happy" or as promising. 

At the beginning of the year, I skimmed over Proverbs 27:7 quickly, hoping that it wouldn't be my central verse for the year.

God had other plans.

"One who is full loathes honey, but to one who is hungry, everything bitter is sweet."

When we are hungry for Jesus, we will accept whatever comes with Him.  If He is Sovereign, then it has filtered through Him first and He has allowed it for some reason that can only mean His glory.



This book was one of my favorites this year.  It is more story than theology, but isn't it story that makes the best theology?


 
 
One of my favorite quotes:
 
"Fear loses oxygen when every moment suspends itself under the purpose of bringing Him glory, of knowing His name and His nature.  Sometimes, instead of leading us up and out of those very fears, big and small, He lets us live them.
 
He gives us over to them.
 
Because it's in this giving over to our fears that we find the perfect love that frees us from them.  Forever."



It seems one taste of Jesus is like a strong drug...a single moment of intimacy with the Savior leaves me only temporarily satisfied and always longing to taste His goodness again.  It seems in a sense, we will always be hungry for Jesus while down here on earth.  I can't wait until the day when we are completely satisfied; tummies bloated on the bread of life. 

"Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied."  Luke 6:21

Unless God intervenes with a miraculous healing, there is a good chance we will lose a man that we love very much.  He has been such a spiritual rock for so many.  We question God's plan but we surrender.  We taste the bitter guile on our tongues but we wash it down with the sweet presence of Jesus.  We don't know what lies ahead, but we hold onto the promise that beauty comes from ashes. Divine Love put us here, in this moment.  We will walk forward in faith and praise Him no matter the outcome.

Family is here and we are going to savor these days.  They are a gift.

No comments: