Monday, October 12, 2015

Treasure {Wisdom Calling Out}

I tried not to let panic set in as Barbara shouted, "I can't find my wedding rings!"  My mother in law's stunning set of three wedding rings given to her by Herb a few years ago were gone.  Sure, they were a gorgeous display of diamonds, but even more so, a sentimental remembrance of love that won't die even when death snatches. Two will always be one, no matter where they reside.

We retraced steps and found ourselves digging through nasty trash, complete with half eaten carrots and gnawed off ribs.  The smell was atrocious but the potential treasure was too great.  Coffee stained papers were scattered amidst the molding refuse.  "I found one!" she shouted.  I peered in, seeing a sparkling array of pure diamonds partially covered by the foul food. We kept digging, finally finding all three, a complete set of brilliance.

We each breathed out an exhale of relief and then an inhale of God's grace, so grateful He allowed her to find her treasure.

There is a treasure even greater though...

I've thought a lot lately about the days we are living in.  Satan has always been a counterfeit, mocking God and twisting things just enough to try to receive the glory.  I think as the times get closer to the end, we will definitely see Satan masquerading as an angel of light.  It's quite possible that the Enemy will look good, representing some sort of false righteousness.  He will take all that God is and twist it to fit his agenda.  If God is Love, then the Enemy will try to promote himself as love.  The problem is that there is no room for man's sin and the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and holy, moral standards in Satan's definition of love.  The devil's definition of love will be one of "anything goes" and "peace comes from within." His religion will twist God's word just enough that we shake our heads and say, "Did God really say that???" often succumbing to the enemy's lies in the process.

We are entering into a time of great deception.  There will be lambs that are really wolves.  There will be things that "sound good" but won't hold up against scripture.  There will be world events that may have a larger, hidden agenda behind them.

We need wisdom.  Wisdom is calling out and it's ours for the taking. It is more precious than even my mother in law's sentimental diamonds. If we fail to find the wisdom offered in God's word, then we will harm ourselves. If we don't cling to wisdom then we will fail to hate evil (not evil people...evil) and if we fail to hate evil then it will infiltrate every home of this beloved nation until we become a scourge to not only ourselves but all the other nations of the world.  We must dig through the refuse of this world until we uncover the brilliance of truth found in God's word.

Wisdom’s Call

Does not wisdom call out?
    Does not understanding raise her voice?
At the highest point along the way,
    where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
beside the gate leading into the city,
    at the entrance, she cries aloud:
“To you, O people, I call out;
    I raise my voice to all mankind.
You who are simple, gain prudence;
    you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.[a]
Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
    I open my lips to speak what is right.
My mouth speaks what is true,
    for my lips detest wickedness.
All the words of my mouth are just;
    none of them is crooked or perverse.
To the discerning all of them are right;
    they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
    knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
    and nothing you desire can compare with her.
12 “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
    I possess knowledge and discretion.
13 To fear the Lord is to hate evil;
    I hate pride and arrogance,
    evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
    I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
    and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
    and nobles—all who rule on earth.[b]
17 I love those who love me,
    and those who seek me find me.
18 With me are riches and honor,
    enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
    what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness
    along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
    and making their treasuries full.
22 “The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works,[c][d]
    before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,
    at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
    when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
    before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
    or any of the dust of the earth.
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
    when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
    and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
    so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30     Then I was constantly[e] at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
    rejoicing always in his presence,
31 rejoicing in his whole world
    and delighting in mankind.
32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
    do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
    watching daily at my doors,
    waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
    and receive favor from the Lord.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
    all who hate me love death.”

No comments: