Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Broken



For a solid month, I was broken and didn't even know it.

On the 4th of July, I started a game of soccer with my premier league player.  Incoming and CRASH as the ball slammed into my hand while I had averted my eyes towards the toddler.  Premier league kids kick hard, you guys.  My hand immediately swelled and I did my good-girl-best to keep the slew of cuss words from exiting my mouth.  Why does pain have to be part of the dad gum curse? 

Thinking it was just a jam, I went about my vacation and re-entered life, hoping all was fine.  Changing diapers, carrying buckets of laundry, and unloading sacks of groceries all brought tears to my eyes as I cringed in pain...but I just knew I would eventually get better.

For a solid month, I didn't know I was broken.

My injury was hidden, wrapped in layers of skin and muscle.

The first step to healing was acknowledging that something really was wrong and that my body couldn't fix itself this time.

I've thought a lot about our souls and how they can fracture, shards shattering from the whole as unexpected pain hits full force.   Often, we carry this brokenness around without even realizing we are indeed, broken

There is a balm in Gilead,
to make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead,
to heal the sin sick soul.
 
Perhaps the first step in healing for our souls is to allow the Healer into the deepest ache.  The first step to healing is admitting we aren't getting better on our own.  The first step to healing is mustering the courage to admit we are indeed, broken.
 
The injury of our souls is hidden, wrapped in layers of unforgiveness, pride and anger.  We must allow this Physician to shine His light and prescribe the only remedy...Himself. We are meant to be whole.  He wants us whole.
 
He is the answer to every broken thing.
 
 
"Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise."
 
Jeremiah 17:14

No comments: