Friday, December 23, 2011

Inked in Mercy

She uncovers her wrist and I see it there, staring back at me.  Eleos.  Mercy.  Greek word/Strong's #1656.  When mercy triumphs over judgment, it is this word, eleos.

I stare at her blue eyes adorned with the longest lashes and beg to know why she chose this word to be inked forever on her wrist.  "I needed a visible reminder to choose mercy.  When I hand out food to hateful people in the drivethru, I can see now and choose a different response."



Below eleos is 1 Peter 4:8.  "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."  Christlike-true love for other makes us merciful and patient and kind towards their many imperfections.  I need a dose of that.  My imperfections are many.


She unwraps her favorite definition of mercy and I read.  Kindness and goodwill towards the afflicted and miserable must always be joined with a desire to do something about it.  Mercy is action.  I then see that her taped up definition of mercy is in the shape of a cross.
 I have only met with her for a few minutes, but I have discerned that she is a courageous one.  Hopping on planes to go to Mexican orphanages all by herself might have been my first clue.  The tattoo might have been my second.

Hating pain, I ask what it felt like, to have mercy stamped on her.  She smiled and said, "You know what it feels like to give blood?"  "You know that initial prick?"  "Well, it felt like the initial prick over and over again."

So, mercy is like giving blood.  Mercy is painful.

What can wash away our sins, nothing but the blood of Jesus.

No comments: