Thursday, February 7, 2013

High Esteem

I hold him in high esteem.  I don't tell him that often enough, but the truth is that my words wouldn't do my heart justice, anyway.

He is my Dad.  Always was.  Always will be.

I can see his wisdom as I get older.  I appreciate those hugs more and more.  I hear him laughing at my boys and remember that laugh from when I was young.

I want my boys to see the value of hard work.  My Dad has been an excellent example.  Owner of a construction company in Northwest AR, site manager for job sites, cattle owner and keeper of land, the list could go on and on.

Last April, his company was hired to put in the new Chevrolet dealership here in town.  Even though my Dad lives 2 1/2 hours away, he agreed to it.  So, practically every work day since, he has gotten up at the crack of dawn to drive down here, work a full day, then drive back. 

It would have made me insane.  He tried parking a 5th wheel camper at the site to stay in sometimes, but I am not sure he enjoyed being away from my Mom. So, he was back to driving.

Being the owner of a company, he often has more than one site to run at a time.  So, he somehow managed to run one to three other sites that were 2 1/2 hours away while he was working here.

Pretty amazing.  Hard worker.  Diligent no matter the cost.

Now that the Chevrolet Dealership is pretty much finished, I took the boys on a tour with Dad alongside.  Call me an English major and incapable of reading architectural plans or building a single thing, but what my Dad is able to accomplish and create always wows me out of my britches.

I remember the first time I really got it.  I was in High School and Dad had just completed the add on to the Methodist Church in downtown Fayetteville.  During the building ceremony, I just stood in awe, taking all of it in.  I stared at the gorgeous wood, the functional rooms, and the new gym.  I couldn't have been more proud of him than in that moment.  I saw the end product and I was totally in awe of the talents and abilities that God had blessed my Dad with.

I wanted my boys to have a similar experience.  As we were touring the dealership, I tried to point out things that were extra cool, like the window that overlooks the maintenance area, or the garage doors that fly up faster that I can say garage doors.

I think they loved it all, but it was hard to notice anything besides the super huge concrete area to play football in or the car jacks that they got to take rides on.

It will stick, though.  They will look back on that day and have one more reason to appreciate their Sir.  They, too, hold him in high esteem.



3 comments:

Amelia said...

Well said. :)
Love you daddy

Little Oak Table said...

That is so sweet! You've got a good Daddy!

Anonymous said...

Great tribute to your Dad and sweet picture of him and the boys. I like saying I know the man who built the Chevrolet Building!!!!!
Barb