Friday, February 14, 2014

Sweet Man of Mine!


I think about the flutters in my stomach when we were first falling in love.  In a way, I miss the early romantic days, and then the better part of me laughs and says I would much rather have what we have now.  We are almost 16 years into this thing called being one and I think we almost have each other figured out.  What is scary is that we often are thinking about the same thing at the same time!
 
I think about what true love is and how it really has nothing to do with flutters in the stomach.  I think about how love is patient.  I remember how after we lost Kiley, Eric wouldn't push me beyond what I could bear.  He was patient when for years I didn't feel like celebrating Valentine's Day.
 
I think about how love doesn't keep a record of wrongs.  Eric isn't one to hold onto my past mistakes and throw them back in my face at a later date.  He lets things go.  He graciously lets me live life, mistakes and all.
 
I think about how love rejoices with the truth.  He has always pointed me towards what I am good at and kindly kept me away from things that aren't my gifting.  He sees that love points people to the truth, no matter how hard it is to hear at times.
 
I think about how love always protects.  He isn't over-obsessive about me and for that I am thankful, but I always feel safe in his presence.  I know he is bending over backwards to ensure my safety, including small details like making sure we have the right amount of life insurance.
 
I think about how love perseveres. I have never once thought he might discard me or divorce me.  (Maybe its because we literally said 'I will not divorce you'  in our vows, ha!)  Goodness, marriage is hard!  It has its good seasons and its bad seasons.  You endure the bad ones not just because you are faithful but because you have hope that a good one is right around the corner.  His love has persevered through financial losses, tragedies, and the day to day grind.
 
Lastly, I think about how love is not self seeking.  Just last night, I didn't make enough soup for all the boys to have seconds. (Growing boys!)  Eric offered his first bowl of soup to one of the boys. We convinced him to keep it, but he was willing to give it up.  Giving up your bowl of potato soup, now that is love!
 
He is a good, good man.  I am so blessed to get to do life with him!
 





(all images by Todd Owens Photography)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becke' I love your sweet words regarding Eric. You both are great examples of a godly marriage and godly parents. Love Deb E.