Sunday, February 10, 2008

Old, New, and Things that Never Change






This piano is one of my most treasured possessions. I don't spend much time on it. It has a few notes that won't even play. It really isn't in tune. It could use a new paint job. But, it was my great-grandparent's piano, and therefore, it has a place in my heart. The story goes something like this: my great Grandma Pitts was longing for this piano and my Grandad (her son) sold a cow in order to buy it for her. He also sold a cow in order to pay for the C-Section that allowed my Mom to come into the world, but that is another story. This piano was one of the old fashioned "player" kinds, but someone along the way had that part removed. I kind of wish they hadn't. At the age of 6, I started my dreadful piano lessons on this piano. It wasn't that I didn't want to learn, I just never could get my brain and fingers to work very well together. So, after 5 or 6 years, I hung it up. Thankfully, the lessons taught me to read music and to play out parts when needed.

My son, Sam, seems to have the most musical ability out of our 3 boys. It is hard to tell at his age, but he enjoys singing and banging around on the piano. For awhile, everything he sang was to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." I captured his precious hands on my "antique" one day and it really got me thinking about hertitage and how God allows things to be passed on. My great grandparents were musical and loved to sing good ol' gospel songs to our Savior. They even sang together at their 75th wedding anniversary. 75 years! That is, again, another story. I don't know if my kiddos will have a natural gifting towards music or not, but I already know that the heritage of singing praise to the Father has been passed down to them. They all three "sing it up" in the car. We have various CD's that are scriptures set to music. It is a fun way to sneak in the Word of God! (Kind of of like sneaking spinach into brownies...but I just can't try that...what kind of Mother do you think I am? Maybe into lasagna, but brownies??) Back to the point, I am thankful for my Godly heritage. I am also grateful that some things never change. Jesus, true Love that comes from him, the Word that is truth...those are a few things that will always remain constant. As I get older and our world gets odder, this reality becomes more and more comforting to me.
On a side note, I am taking a photography class at UCA. Just in case you wanted to know, the second picture displays the "rules" of leading lines and the rule of thirds (to the best of my amateur ability!) I am hoping that I can at least define aperture and get off of my "auto" mode when it is all said and done! :)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Okay, when we get together I want a crash course in photography because I already think you've got a great handle on it! Those pictures were great! Love you.

Little Oak Table said...

The piano pics look even better on a blog! Amazing! That was a very sweet post!