Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Soaring Wings Ranch

Eric and I have some hilarious friends named Donny and Becky Lockett. We met them at church, where Becky and I sing on the praise team together. They have a daughter named Lauren. A few weeks ago, Becky came to me and asked us to start praying about a possible life transition. I was almost in tears, because I didn't want one of my singing buddies to be moving away. She said it was nothing like that...but that they were considering the role of "house parents" at the girls' house at a place called Soaring Wings Ranch. I had never even heard of this ministry, so I ran home to my internet to check it out. What an amazing vision and ministry! They take up to 8 girls (and I guess 8 boys for the boy's home) and treat them like family. The vision is to build more and more houses on the 200 acres the ranch owns out-right. These kiddos range from being abused, neglected, to being in need of a strong family support structure. Donny and Becky promptly quit there jobs and headed to the big ol' town of Holland to start their new phase of life. Eric, the boys, and I headed out there last weekend to check the place out. All I have to say is WOW! This ministry thought of everything when it came to building this home. There are 2 dishwashers, 2 ovens, 2 washers and dryers, 6 humongous bedrooms that sleep about 2 each, personal bathrooms, and even a study room with desks for everyone and windows into the room so the "parents" can keep on eye on things. I think if I were a kid that came from a shaky background, I would about wet my pants the first time I stepped into the house. "You mean this is for me? I get the opportunity to live here and be loved and treated with dignity? What did I ever do to deserve such a thing?" (I think my response will be like this when I get to heaven!)
This ministry is not government funded in any way; they "survive" based on giving from normal people like you and me. God has blessed the upstart of this place of hope and I imagine he will continue to do more and more that seems impossible to human eyes. I don't know why God has softened my heart towards this ministry so much, but I find myself praying for these children that live there...that God would redeem, heal, and comfort these kids. If you want more info. on this, then visit soaringwingsranch.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I've never heard of this place. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

Soaring Wings Ranch is awesome. The kids there attend Greenbrier schools. I know a couple of them personally and they are sooo sweet and very thankful. One girl just enrolled and when I met her I asked if she liked her new quilt (because they all get a quilt made just for them when they arrive). Her eyes lit up as she told me about it!