Monday, February 4, 2008

Thoughts from a stay-at-home theologian



I love the beach. I love the sound of waves and the glory of God that is displayed in the powerful ocean. I love the sunsets, the feeling of sand between my toes, and the heat beating down on me. I love to watch the little kids build sand castles. I love to read good books while undisturbed. I love to pray while in some of the most beautiful of God's settings. Something God showed me last year at the beach was that His grace is all sufficient. Maybe I should just believe it instead of asking for more of it. Since then, He has started to show me that when He declares Himself as Jehovah Rapha, He is not saying He can heal as much as saying that He IS healing. When he says he is Jehovah Jireh, he isn't saying he provides as much as saying that He IS provision. He is all we need. We should seek Him when we want wisdom, for He IS wisdom. He is GRACE, HOLINESS, LIGHT, the WORD, TRUTH. He is all we need. I think this is hard for me and possibly other Americans to really believe. We are bombarded with so many ads for so many "things" that we are told we need. We are comfortable, not wanting for food, shelter, or clothing. And yet, in reality, He is all we need. I have been on a little search for the real Jesus. I feel like he is presented in different ways by various preachers...does he want me to suffer like he did; does he want to bless my socks off financially; does he even care? I finally threw my hands up one day and shouted, "Would the REAL Jesus, just please stand up!?" I have come to the conclusion of one thing: Jesus loves me, this I know. And I think that when we come to the point that we really BELIEVE that God and Jesus love us, then we can rest in His presence and have confidence that He really does have GOOD things in store for us. I did a little project today. I decided to go through the book of John...just the first three chapters and read who the real Jesus is. Here is what is listed about him, just in the first 3 chapters:

the Word (with God and WAS God)
Creator (through him all things were made)
LIFE
LIGHT
Redeemer (gives right to become children of God)
GRACE
TRUTH
ONE and ONLY
Worthy
LAMB of GOD
SON of GOD
Rabbi
Teacher
MESSIAH
Christ
King of Israel
SON of MAN (This is how Jesus refers to Himself)
THE temple
Bridegroom

My favorite new way to think of Christ is the SON of MAN. I never understood this title til last fall. In Daniel 7:13-14, we see "one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory, and sovereign power; all peoples, nations, and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed." Since the Jewish people knew these scriptures, He knew they would know just WHO he was declaring himself to be when he called himself the Son of Man. I just love this!

Well, so much for deep thoughts by Becke'! Hope I didn't freak anyone out!

3 comments:

Little Oak Table said...

Preach it! I'll buy your book when it comes out :)!

Anonymous said...

Seriously Becke... I love it! Keep digging into God's Word and seeking Christ. And when your ready to write the book, I can be your co-author!! That'll be fun!

blessedpath said...

Hey Becke! I'm Kelli's neighbor, Carol and I got your link from her blog. God has used you, a"stranger" to speak to me today on things I've been seeking lately from Him. He is our provider and does care!!! Also we are studying Daniel in our BS and loved what you said about Jesus being the Son of Man. Thanks for letting me peak into your world!!