Tuesday, May 4, 2010

On Romance and God

I was having a sweet little chat with a BFF as little hellions, I mean darling little men, raced through the kitchen punching each other with "The Hulk" green fake hands. What were we discussing? You could sum it up with the tune of "You've lost that loving feeling." We just wondered why we can't keep that "new" and "fresh" and "romantic" zest all throughout marriage that happens when you are first newly in love.

Call it the attraction phase if you will. But, we seem to long to want to go back to that moment and we often will do anything to try and recreate it. Now, I am not saying that either me or the BFF do not have Romantic moments or that we don't love our men with all our hearts, but the newness has worn off. Of course, trust and confidence and pure devotion have taken over. And for that, we wouldn't trade it for anything.

But, indulge me for a minute. What if our God is a ROMANTIC? I think that He is!

Our hearts need a good dose of this! Otherwise, we become cynical, indifferent, and passive in our relationship with him. Without the sense of euphoria of "new" love, we may lose interest. Now, I am not saying that a relationship with God is only based on feeling. It is so much deeper than that. But, have we forgotten what it means to be so in love with Him that we are oblivious to everything but Him? Does He make our hearts swoon?

When I try and grasp the deep cost that Jesus paid in order for me to be reunited with the Father, I just am humbled. He saved me so that I could be in an intimate relationship with Him. Of course, He speaks love over me when He creates sunsets and bright flowers. But, the wood of the cross and the rusty nails speak a better word. The sacrifice shouts loves over me.

Do I desire the face to face encounter with Jesus more than anyone else? I truly think He desires that encounter with me.

These are just some ideas to get the wheels turning in the ol' brain. But, what if we got to experience the "attraction" phase all the time with our Savior in Heaven? What if we were in a constant state of euphoria with Him then? Beth Moore tends to think it will be like that! What if He will treat us like a Bride (not just a wife) forever? (Complete with wooing and romance?)

All I know is that His name is Faithful and True and I can't wait to look Him in the face. The Word says that He will betroth me to Him forever. He even ends and starts scripture with a wedding. I do believe that He is a Romantic.

I just love this:

"To fall in love with God is the greatest of romances, to seek Him the greatest adventure, to find Him the greatest human achievement."
St. Augustine

1 comment:

Little Oak Table said...

I so love this. Today I was reading in John 20 when Mary had gone to the tomb to look for Jesus body and it was gone.

When she turned around from looking into the empty tomb she was looking into the beautiful face of Jesus though she knew it not.

All he had to do was speak her name. Mary. At the sound of his voice she recognized him.

The fact that he simply spoke her name and she knew him seemed so intimate and got me all giddy. My sheep hear my voice and know it. I call my sheep by name.

It is exciting to think that we'll be treated as a bride and that we'll get to enjoy him forever.