Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Charming Brunch

We wrapped up our ladies bible study today with a charming brunch.  Ms. Diane hosted us at her charming cottage.  (Thank you Ms. Diane!!!)  It is a beautiful combination of Victorian and Country and my heart fell in love with the front porch that has become her quiet sitting area.  Wait until you see what she did at the top of each wall frame!

 I am pretty sure God speaks clearly in this little nook.  I'd like to give it a try, anyway!  Do you see the painted wooden frame?
 See them now?  She painted scripture that means something to her heart all along the top...





 The quaint courtyard.  All ready for a girly brunch.  The soul of a woman just breathes easier once she has been able to sit outside amongst other women with strawberry shortcake and good, strong coffee.  sigh. 

 This gate makes me so happy I can't stand it.  I need one.  And a courtyard.  And a front porch that can function as my quiet-time-hiding-place with God.  sigh.


 Some of the inside touches...




 You are torn up over this house, aren't you, Bugs?

 Doing dishes might not be so bad if this were the view!
 Thank you, Barbara for leading our class and sharing real life stories.
 Me and Jennifer...
Here is what I took away from this experience:

1.  Own your house!  Don't be afraid to decorate the way that appeals to you!  If you want to put a hutch in the bedroom, then go for it!  If you want to paint meaningful scripture all over your walls, then stop being afraid!

2.  Own your yard!  If being able to sit outside amongst friends or family is important, then create a little nook for just that.  I don't know how to make this happen in our backyard, but I know that it is possible.

3.  Be thankful for the home God has given you.  It may be old.  It may not have the space you want.  But, with grace, you can create a haven where your family feels comfortable and your friends receive peace.

4.  Don't underestimate the power of fabric and good window treatments.  I only have one window treatment in my whole house (compliments of Betty and my mother in law...I'll show a pic soon) but I may have to get more!  :)

5.  Is there anything better than ivy growing up the wall of your home?

6.  Fresh flowers placed among the home and outside allow your soul to breathe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BUGS??? What about your Mama???
I sighed the whole way through those pictures. I will probably be sighing for days to come. Love, love, love her cottage!
mom

Cassie said... said...

what a beautiful home!

Little Oak Table said...

WHERE have I been that this post skipped by me?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVELY!!

Enjoyed catching up on your posts today! You've been busy!!