Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dental Drudgery

AHA! I have your attention if you, too, hate going to the dentist!

So, I stalled the past couple of years in getting us back to the dentist to get our teeth checked and cleaned. Going today reminded me why I was stalling. I knew I couldn't postpone it any longer when I noticed dark discolorations in the 3 year old's teeth. Arg. I am prone to cavities and I guess he will be, too. I truly dreaded them asking me if I ever brushed his teeth and if he drank soda all day long. Yes, I brush. No, he doesn't drink soda. (My new friend from the north will be proud of me for saying "soda!") But, it does feel awkward as I type it in. "Coke"...now that is more like it! No, he doesn't drink Coke all day long.

Since Sam had never been to the dentist, the hygienist and I agreed to have him watch me while in "the chair" so he could see that it was no big deal. This sounded like a great plan until I got in the chair. My palms started sweating and I started shaking. The first foreign object placed into my mouth was an "x-ray-thingy-ma-jobber" that just didn't belong. I slowed my breathing and pushed through that experience while quoting, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Then, the cleaning began. I am sorry, but it is hard to not flinch when she is jabbing an object that resembles an ice pick into your gums in order to test the bone strength. It hurts. Really bad. Remember, Sam is standing by my side, peering into my mouth. I am doing my best to smile at him and say reassuring words while all the while I am wanting to scream, "Run! Flee for your life! Don't look back, just GO!"

While still in "the chair," Sam had found a large rubber snake to play with. The boy was not afraid to dangle it on one side of my face while the hygienist sucked and squirted and poked and prodded. I was helpless. I felt violated.

Sam wasn't the only one with cavities...I had another as well. My GOODNESS! I didn't know I had another spot for a filling to go into! Lucky us, we get to go back in one whole month. Arg.

If you are a dentist or a hygienist, thank you for your role. I truly do want my teeth when I am older. But, consider this: if 3 year olds receive shiny red balloons for all their effort, shouldn't adults receive gift certificates to P. F. Chang's?? I am just saying...

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh man... what a day!!! I took Andrew last year but have yet to take parker. I should get on that!

Kim said...

I had to get a cavity filled today and my jaw is still sore. So funny to read you were experiencing the same dread and sweaty palms today as me!!!

Nic said...

Bless your heart..I don't like going to the dentist either. It's like listening to nails on a chark board when they are scraping your teeth...ahh..gives me chills just thinking about it!

Heather said...

I started hating the dentist about 5 years ago. Up until then, it was no problem and the cleaning/poking didn't even hurt. NOT THE CASE NOW. I despise going. And then going with our kids is like going again ourselves, except instead of having to mentally wrestle ourselves still we are actually wrestling them! UGH is right!!!

Amelia said...

LOL - You're Funny!

Three Against One said...

Sorry to hear of you dental phobia! I worked in a dental office for a little over 5 years so I can honestly tell you that you are definitely NOT the only one out there who dreads going to the dentist.
However, I can tell you that when the hygenist is checking your bone density that should NOT hurt, you shouldn't even feel it, so I have to wonder what she was doing. Sorry that you have to go back, but good job putting on a brave face for Sam, hopefully he will not inherit your fear as well. :)