Monday, April 11, 2011

The Ironic Injustice and Justice of the Cross

Goodness, that title sounds like I am about to throw out a three hundred page theological dissertation of the crucifixion.  I'll spare you! 

I kind of like this title too:  "The juxtaposition of injustice and justice at the cross."

But, now I sound nerdy and you probably have given up on me.  I just want to write these thoughts down as a way to look at Easter differently this year.  Fair?

Then hang with me for a sec.

Eric and I have watched back to back movies that had a common theme:  an innocent person was either put on death row or given a life sentence for a crime they did not commit.  I was shocked at how emotionally involved I got in wanting justice served.  I simply wanted the truth to come out so that everyone could go back to their families.

I am a first born daughter.  All of Kevin Leman's books on birth order would say that I have an extreme sense of justice.  I love right and I love wrong and I don't enjoy the hues of gray that tend to muddy the waters.  If a person is innocent, then by golly, get them out of their punishment!

But then I think of the cross.

Who would have thought that God's plan would look like this?

Jesus.  Son of God.  Perfection.  Kind One.  Truth.  Life.  Way. 

Was put on trial.  And not given a sentence of life in prison.  But immediate shameful death.  The only comparison we have in today's culture to the shame of the cross would be the shame of the gas chamber or electric chair. 

Yes, it was looked upon that badly.

But, Jesus didn't go to the cross with shame.  I noticed this for the first time last night.  Hebrews 12:2-3 says that he scorned the shame of the cross.  He despised the shame, looked down on the shame, and showed contempt for the shame.  Instead, he endured the cross because of the joy that was set before him.

Joy of being in His Father's presence again.  Joy of being able to make a way for God the Father to be restored in fellowship with mankind.  He endured the cross because he knew the coming joy was going to be that much more sweet.

So, was it unjust for an innocent man to be put on that symbol of shame, left there to suffocate? 

Yes.  Everything in me shouts yes!  Everything in me wishes they could have saved him and rescued him.

But, that wasn't the heart of God. 

God's heart was that justice would be fulfilled that day.  Sin was burdened onto His Son that day.  And He knew it was the only option.

God had been foreshadowing this day in stories for a long time.  Abraham and Isaac finding a ram caught in the thicket which literally became their horn of salvation.  The Passover in Egypt as those marked with the blood were passed over from the death of their firstborns.  It wasn't as if God hadn't prepared His people for this day.  For this way.

The culmination of justice had to occur now, with His spotless Lamb. 

Was it just for Jesus, a totally innocent man, to die?

Yes.  Everything in me shouts yes!  He is our only hope!  If He hadn't gone to the cross, we would be lost in the mire of wrath forever.  Only the blood of a perfect man can stop the endless cycle of sacrifice.  With Him, the work can be finished.  Forever!

The injustice of Christ going to the cross was for the higher purpose of God's justice being served.

Who would have thought that God's plan would look like this?

From man's point of view, the justice system failed Jesus that day.
From God's stance, justice was finally served.

Oh, the great cost of my sin.
Am I thankful for this strange plan?

For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me

No comments: