Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seashells and Cheerful Hearts



When we were in Texas on the "beach", Eli found several shells. He carried those around the whole vacation and managed to sweet talk his way into bringing them all home with him. Yesterday, he decided to give them all a bath. After about 30 minutes of carefully washing each one, he had himself some shiny opalescent shells! He was so proud of them!

This morning, he caught me off guard. He reached for the brightest, largest shell and proceeded to tell me that he was going to give it to his teacher. I had to hold my tongue. I wanted to tell him that these shells were precious to him and that he might want to keep the largest most beautiful one for himself. They were his "treasure", after all!

I quickly silenced myself as Eli proceeded to wrap it carefully and put it into his backpack. Shame on me for not teaching him to give his best and most precious things away. Isn't that what God Almighty did for us when He sent His only Son to die on the cross for our redemption and restoration? How humbling that I had to learn yet something else from a child.

I love to give to others, but I can assure you that it isn't always my most prized possessions. God loves a cheerful giver...what would it look like if I gave away my special things in order to receive joy? It makes me wonder how materialized I really am.

When Eli got home from school, I asked him what his teacher thought about the shell. He said she liked it. ("What?? That's it? Doesn't she know that was your largest and most beautiful shell and that you gave it without reserve or expecting anything in return?") I wonder if God looks into our hearts and minds and wonders the same thing. ("What?? That's it? I sent my one and only Son to die a horrific death for you and I get a muttered thanks in return?)

Lord, give us grateful hearts for your Gift and unreservedly giving hearts toward others.

7 comments:

Cassie said... said...

thank you for that reminder.

Kim said...

Wow, that was powerful.

Jenny said...

Beautifully put!! Loved reading this!

In His Army said...

How well said, what a great post.

the Percifuls said...

Love the story, and the point of it. Thanks for sharing! But honestly, do you have to convict me quite so often? :)

Amelia said...

What a beautiful post, with such great meaning! Thank you for inspiring me. You both mean the world to me!

Anonymous said...

I've taught many Bible lessons in my life, but I don't believe I've ever left a better message than this. Your spiritual perception is very impressive. Powerful example with life changing truth. Guess it's true, "A child shall lead them".

Papa