Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Speech Meet

Cade's Speech Meet was today. I think it is wonderful that they start this out on the youngsters; it give kids the opportunity to memorize passages and conquer their fears while speaking in front of others. I had huge tears pool up twice. The first time was when a sweet little girl starting getting teary eyed before she even stood up. Once she was in front of everyone, the tears started gushing. Through choked sobs, she recited her perfectly memorized poem. I wanted to whisk her away and shower her with Motherly kisses, but I refrained. It is harder for some personalities to speak in front of crowds which is why I started crying for her. I hate speaking in front of crowds and I'm not real sure I enjoy speaking amongst small groups! So, my first tears were of empathy for this little girl!

My second tears came when the final contestant (my first born son) stood up and retold the fable "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." How can such pride emanate from the recitation of a small speech? Besides the fact that he had it memorized, his speed and volume were perfect.

It makes me wonder how the next two guys in line will handle these sort of things. Eli will probably soak up the attention and Sam probably won't care one iota about what the crowd thinks! It is so fun to see how God creates everyone differently, each with unique talents and ways to express themselves.

8 comments:

Cassie said... said...

and I don't think it ever gets any eaiser...

Heather said...

You know this former speech teacher thinks this is a GREAT idea! I would have cried with the little girl, too!

Little Oak Table said...

i'm glad he did good!

that is a big deal!

the Percifuls said...

I think you're exactly right about how Eli & Sam will react. Your boys sure do have distinct personalities!

Samantha said...

I used to LOVE the speech meet. I did poetry a lot. And the whole Gettysburg Address.

Samantha said...

I used to LOVE the speech meet. I did poetry a lot. And the whole Gettysburg Address.

Anonymous said...

This is just one more thing I think is wonderful about CCS. Way to go Cade!
Bebe

Three Against One said...

I know exactly what you mean about them each having there own personalities. I love seeing the differences between my two girls.

Glad to hear that Cade did so well. How could he not with his biggest fan right there supporting and experiencing it right along with him!