Thursday, June 4, 2009

Walking/Running/Dying

In order to counteract the 5 pieces (and counting) of birthday cake I have eaten thus far this week, I thought I would go for a walk/run. I sneakily tried to get out the door without my 75 pound/300 horsepower golden retriever/motor, but Eric guilted me into taking her.

Taking my dog on a walk/sprint is hilarious. First of all, we don't even have a retractable leash. Second of all, the girl loves to run. Thirdly, I don't. Or, at least, my legs and lungs don't. My brain loves the idea. So, after throwing my arm out of socket and getting sad hearing her gasping for breath (from choking, not exhaustion,) I decided to run with her.

The first thing I realized was that I forgot to do the ol' switch-a-roo to the sports bra. Let's just say that "Jingle Bells" was an appropriate theme song for the evening stroll/sprint.

After hearing my feet pound the pavement along with her paws padding along, it was a nice sound. Even "Jingle Bells" took a back seat to the short lived drum-cadence of a rhythm we created.

And then it happened. Savannah took a sharp 90 degree lunge and I left my back about 50 feet behind me. Yes, it is time to invest in a retractable leash. Either that, or I am going to have to leave the motor at home forever. Oh, and I found my back...I will survive.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That is hilarious! Aside from your dog dragging you, how's the running going? Proper "equipment" is a must.

blessedpath said...

Oh yes, definately need a retractable leash, you can get one for around 24.oo at petsmart for large dogs. Dewey is about 60 pounds now and can really pull too!! I cannot run for the life of me, EVERYTHING jingles, I'm sure it is not pretty!! I too, have been walking this past week. it does feel good to get back out there! Enjoy all that bday cake girl...you deserve to celebrate allllll wk long:)

Kirby said...

You should make Eric run with you! And he can handle leash duties...it may at least make it easier to persuade him of the need for a retractable leash.