Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Aughts and Anys, Anyone??

There was another concept in Catherine Marshall's book, "Something More," that really resonated with me. She titles it "Forgiveness: The Aughts and the Anys." The premise is that of Mark 11:25, "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your father in heaven may forgive you your sins." The KJV sounds more fun with "aughts against anys."

This can be a tricky subject. Are we really to forgive those that are going against all moral code and the Word of God? What about those that are executing evil to the most degree? After all, God gave us a sense of justice. Shouldn't we execute it in these situations? Shouldn't we judge and hold them to the high standard? Well, I guess that is it. God didn't ask us to be judges.

Forgiving all aughts and all anys sounds pretty all-inclusive to me. The way I understand this concept is that we aren't agreeing with the offense against us, but releasing our rights to judge to the One who has the sole rights to do so. It means that the person can still be as wrong as possible, but I choose to withhold my judgment from him.

Do any of us have unanswered prayers? What if this is the reason why?? Even small offenses can fester and when left unforgiven, hinder our prayer lives. When we forgive, we are able to release the person to be himself. What if our hindrances against the person are hampering God's work in his life?

Catherine Marshall recommends writing a list of all "aughts against anys." I really didn't think I had any, but I asked the Holy Spirit to bring things to mind and I am already on #10! (I don't think I am through, either!) She then says to forgive each person and release them back to the Father so that he might work in their lives.

She gave incredible personal examples of people giving up their personal judgments, small and large. You wouldn't believe the way God worked in those people's lives to bring about redemption and restoration! She even reminded readers of the martyr, Stephen, who, while being stoned to death, uttered that God would not "lay this sin to their charge." And what did God do, but transform Saul (who was there that day) into Paul, great apostle to the Gentiles!

So, if you want, you can join me on my experiment of writing and casting away all my "aughts against anys." I can't wait to see the results!

No comments: