Wednesday, August 19, 2009

They're Off! (and a happy birthday.)

I just sent off a third grader and a first grader. They are so excited. Cade is ready to get back to arithmetic (his words,) and Eli is ready to see his buddy, Ethan. I am ready to have a little more time to invest in Sam. I told the boys I would be 'homeschooling' Sam this year to get him ready for preschool next year. They are so ecstatic and were giving me all kinds of ideas. I haven't told Sam that yet. He may be of a different opinion. He is such a hands-on kind of fella; I just need to get more creative.



And a sweet note for my beloved Kiley.
It is your birthday! You are 26 today! By the time I was 26, I had experienced things on this earth that you never had. Marriage and babies being the more obvious ones. By the time you were 26, you had experienced things in Heaven that I never have. What is it like to have no hindrance of sin attached to your soul? What are the colors and landscape like? What does it feel like to actually be in the complete presence of our Lord? What is your favorite part about the whole thing? Do you miss us, or are you so enthralled with your Redeemer that you know we are only a heartbeat away?
The boys and I sang "Happy Birthday" to you this morning at breakfast. Cade wanted to know if I had the phone number for Heaven so that he could call you. He knows Heaven is just as real as this place and that you are alive! I still haven't deleted your name and number from my cell phone. Something in me wants to believe that you just might pick up someday...even if that number has been disconnected.
I still have the urge to call you at times. There are some answers to questions that I immediately think, "Kiley would know that." But, then reality sneaks back in and I once again have to revert to that four letter word called hope.
I love you, my friend and sister. I miss you. I celebrate your life with you. I hope God gives you an amazing party.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cade and Eli, you look so handsome and so grown up! It makes my heart happy that you love to go to school.
I love you guys! Mim

Anonymous said...

August 19, 1983
Granny brought you(Becke) and Devin to the hospital in the afternoon right after Kiley was born. You walked into the room and beheld your baby sister for the first time. Your eyes went wide with wonder and awe and immediate love. You always adored your baby sister. You were so kind and gentle with her. You taught her things only an older sister can teach. You were patient and kind. You two developed a friendship I will never get to experience(being an only child) I will never know the pain of losing a sister. I'm sorry you are having to experience it. But, I do know the pain of losing a child and I pray you never have to go through that. You are wise. Your words are like a soothing balm to my wounded heart. I cherish you, as I do all my children. The ones here on earth and my beautiful child in heaven.
Happy birthday Kiley. Mom

Amelia said...

Cade & Eli, you look so grown up and ready for school@ I hope you have a wonderful first day of school and I pray that you continue to make lot's of friends and learn lot's of new material! Have a great year as a Terrific Third Grader and a Fantastic First Grader!

Love you Becke'!

You are an amazing mom to those boys, keep up the hard work! And and amazing sister, I love you.

*I have a special "HOPE" gift for you, love you lots & see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Becke-

So sorry for this day but how wonderfuly put. What an awesome birthday party she is having in heaven. How awesome to be able to have JESUS at your party. Thinking of you today! Lori Weir

Anonymous said...

Cade and Eli,
I thought about you this morning and wondered if you, Eli, had any trouble waking up SO EARLY!!! Cade, did you get right up when your alarm went off? I bet you did! I love your 'first day back to school' pictures, and especially seeing the excitment on your faces. You boys are such good students, the kind a teacher loves to have in her (or his) class; obedient, great attitude, and a hard worker. I'm so proud of you both. Hope you have a great day.
Love you, Bebe

Anonymous said...

P.S. By the way, Eli, I love your school uniform. You look great in it.
Bebe

Kim said...

What handsome fellas! Hope they have great days and you and Sam have a great year together too.

Love ya!

Little Oak Table said...

Sweet pictures and post Beck.

Praying for you today friend!

And yes, about that recipe, put all the stuff in the crock-pot together, even the dogs. Let me know if you try it :)!

Kelli said...

I'm glad Cade and Eli enjoyed their first days. And a belated Happy Birthday to 4-year old Sam! Love that boy and can't wait to see him!

Praying for you tonight. I know it's a tough day. Love you, Becke!

In His Army said...

Those handsome boys look ready to take on the world! Hope their first day was a hit!

Thinking of you, girl...what a sweet post to your sis, I can't imagine how much you miss her. Praying for you.

todd owens said...

Becke', although we dont know each well, my heart goes out to you when I read your posts to your sister. Your words so truly express your emotions.