Friday, August 28, 2009

Neverending Prayers

I think my three year and 11 month old son has the "pray without ceasing" thing down. When we let him pray at the table before eating, it is quite the event. I am thinking about inviting Billy Graham for the next prayer gathering.

It goes something like this:

Dear God;
Thank you that we play all day and sing all day.
Thank you that we are going up in a spaceship and for the zoo and for the swimming pool.
Thank you for moo-bies and tv that we watch all day.
And we watch Nemo and Diego.
And thank you for brothers.
And help us obey Mommy and Daddy.


OK...that is the general gist. Now imagine him repeating this type of info over and over again until I am finally the one to tell him to thank Jesus for our food so that we can eat. He then throws open his eyes, cuts them my way with a look that says, "how dare you interrupt my conversation with the Father," and then utters some nonsense word that sounds like "luh-hi-luh-kehm." This word reminds me of 'Father of the Bride" movie, (second one, I think) when the Iranian (?) guy shuts up his wife and says, "luh-hi-luh-kehm...you no talk while I am talking."

Sam then proceeds to finish his prayer the way he always intended. It was especially comical this morning. As Sam was praying, I peeked at the bigger boys. They were both so sweetly being patient with their eyes closed. But, hilarity of all hilarities, Eli had his head raised to heaven with about 3 inches of banana coming straight up out of his mouth. Now, you can't tell me that God doesn't laugh his head off at stuff like this. I mean, when a kid prays very silently and reverently with a banana coming out of his mouth like a giant cigar, that is something to chuckle about.

Oh, and we really don't watch moo-bies and tv all day.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I am cracking up so hard at this! The part about the Father of the Bride guy nearly made me spit out my Dr. Pepper (or made it come out my nose, actually!)!
Too funny!!! I love little people's prayers!

Kim said...

Cute stuff! Gotta love those boys. ;)

Little Oak Table said...

I can attest to the cuteness of a Sam prayer. And help us obey mommy and daddy!!! So sweet!