Wednesday, January 6, 2010

krazy kroger

My stars! Have you been to the local grocery store today? You would think we were expecting snow or something! (ha) They were out of green onions. I have 2 recipes that call for green onions and I didn't appreciate the rush on them. I then proceeded to buy a head of napa cabbage which is quite tasty in stir fry recipes. I thought the $2.99 sign meant for the head of pricey cabbage, but nooooo, when I proceeded to check out, it meant per pound. I made the poor young fella take the $6.99 head of delicious napa cabbage off my ticket. My Momma didn't raise no fool.

Something about this cold weather makes me want to go grab my kids out of school. Are they warm? My husband has transformed our house into my grandparent's home. At my Nana and Grandad's, they nail up quilts into the entrance of their living room and then put up a heavy duty space heater to keep it warm. That way, they can turn their heat down in the rest of the home and still stay cozy. Well, guess what my man does? He nails up 2 quilts that go into our sunroom, tells us to stay out, and puts a heavy duty space heater in the other part of the house. He means well, and his methods are working, but I feel funny with quilts over the doorframe. After all this, we think we remembered that the central part of our home is hard to heat because it is missing insulation. We tried to have extra blown in a long time ago, but this old home has a strange a-line frame that won't allow insulation past a certain point. Anyway, I feel like we have turned into my grandparents.

We've been checking up on our elderly widower neighbor, Mr. Bass, a lot more frequently. His heart hasn't been in good shape and this cold weather kinda scares me, so we've been taking him beans and cornbread and other warm things. His phone has been going out a lot, so he comes over to borrow the line and gripe out our local phone people. Good times.

Well, in the rush at Kroger, I still managed to get things to make while we are snowed in for a month, I mean day.

tacos
shrimp and wild rice casserole
chicken enchiladas
sesame beef stir fry (sans beloved napa cabbage)
lone star chili, fritos, cheese
chocolate chips for either cookies or chocolate chip banana bread

Well, my Bible and Italian Sweet Creme Coffee are calling my name. Have fun watching the radar.

6 comments:

Mark and Cari said...

We shop at the Kroger here and love all of the good deals we get....sorry to hear that yours has gone Krazy!

Kelli said...

I just figured out that snow must be coming from everyone's status updates on Facebook. I may need to go to the grocery store and buy whatever's left tonight to fill our bare cupboards. Milk and eggs. That's what you're supposed to buy when you get snowed in right?!

Kim said...

Funny! That reminds me we're almost out of milk. I probably need to get some on our way to or from church tonight. I felt like getting Megan too. I worried during the recess hour if she was staying warm enough. :)

Nic said...

LOL!!! Why do we panic so much?!? I keep going over and over my list b/c I mean what if I ran out of Diet coke for that whole day?? The horror!!!

Heather said...

I just texted Todd a "short" list to stop by Kroger for on his way home from work. Boy, he is going to hate me, isn't he?!?!?
Being from OK where we get lots more snow, it cracks me up how people run to the store on days like this!!! But sometimes you just get caught up in the madness!!! We are praying for lots of snow so Connor can have a snowball fight and build a snowman!!! :)

Little Oak Table said...

laughing out loud over here!!!