Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Unbelief in the Face of Mercy

Somewhere along the way, I fell head over heels in love with the Old Testament. It is rich in story and points to a Savior that would one day make everything right. So call me crazy to think that 2nd Kings is a fascinating read, but really, it just oozes with goodness.

The Israelites, God's chosen people were wishy washy in their faith. At one moment, they were praising the One True God, and the next they were setting up false images and idols to adore. When we get to chapter 7, we see that God is fed up with their adulterous hearts and allows an enemy to take their city siege.

The famine got bad. Imagine not being able to leave your city gates because you know doom is right outside of the walls. Imagine the hopeless feeling of not being able to give your kids a piece of bread as they tug on your leg and beg with all that is in them. Imagine striking up a deal with someone else where you eat your son today and her son the next day. That is how bad things got.

God is a God of discipline (hence the siege) but He is also a God who is rich in mercy. I think He just couldn't stand it anymore, you know? When His children start eating the children He blessed them with, things have just gone way too far.

So, he instructs his prophet at the time, Elisha, to tell the King that "About this time tomorrow, a seah of flour will sell for a shekel and two seahs of barley for a shekel at the gate of Samaria." Now, if you are thinking what I am thinking, then you are wondering what on earth a seah or a shekel amount to. Truth is, I am not sure. But, we do know that in the famine, the head of a donkey was selling for 80 shekels, which is about fourscore pieces of silver.

Can you imagine trying to get meat from the head of a donkey? Flour and barley weren't available at any cost. Things were bad.

As Elisha was telling the prophecy, the King's officer (on whom the King was leaning) said, "Look, even if the LORD should open the floodgates of the heavens, could this happen?"

It took me a bit of study to understand why he would respond with "opening the floodgates of heavens." I can be a bit slow like that. Well, duh, it is because they were under siege and the officer thought the only possible solution would be for God to rain it down upon their city. That is if that could happen.

I want this drilled into my head so I never forget it: God is serious about unbelief. Elisha immediately replied to the officer that he would see it come to fruition, but not eat any of it. Spurgeon says, "unbelief in the face of unusual mercy becomes doubly provoking."

Remember the enemy that was encamped around the city walls? God made them hear the noises of a great army. Panicked at the thought of being attacked, they fled their camp and left everything behind.

Who found the plunder? Four men with leprosy who decided to surrender themselves to the enemy because of their starvation. I bet they were surprised to find unimaginable wealth and food at their immediate disposal. After finally agreeing to share this good news with the king, we see the king put his officer in charge of the city gate.

Can you imagine receiving such good news in such dire times? I imagine the response created a mob-like atmosphere as everyone rushed out of the city in order to lay hold of the food and wealth. The unbelieving officer in charge of the city gate was trampled in the gateway and he did not partake of the Lord's blessing.

C. H. Spurgeon said, "Man's extremity is God's opportunity of making his own power to be glorious: his time to appear for his people is when their strength is gone. Unbelief is a sin by which men greatly dishonour and displease God and deprive themselves of the favours he designed for them."

When I first started studying this story a few months ago, I had to dig deep and ask myself if I really believed that within the span of only 24 hours, God could totally turn a dire situation into one of abundance. Could He really reverse something so big like that in such little time? Would He do it in my life? So, my prayer became something like this: "Lord, you are the giver of all good things. Whatever you have for us today, we receive it in faith. We believe that you can completely reverse our situation in only 24 hours if you choose to do so."

I got the below from enduringword.com, which I later realized was a summation of Spurgeon's sermon on 2nd Kings entitled, "Beware of Unbelief."

1. Unbelief dares to question the truthfulness of God's promise itself
2. Unbelief says this is a new thing and cannot be true
3. Unbelief says this is a sudden thing and cannot be true
4. Unbelief says there is no way to accomplish this thing
5. Unbelief says there is only one way God can work
6. Unbelief says even if God does something, it won't be enough

Whoa. I read those and apply them to whatever situation I am struggling with and am knocked over with the fact that I struggle with unbelief, even if I didn't think I struggled with it.

I am reminded of Martha who questioned Jesus as he asked them to roll away the stone so that he might bring Lazarus back to life. "But, Lord, by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." Her excuse of unbelief was a very practical one.

I am reminded of Zechariah, who was promised a son by the angel Gabriel. Being quite advanced in years, he replies, "Do you expect me to believe this? I'm an old man and my wife is an old woman." His excuse of unbelief was a very practical one.

My question to myself and to you is this: Are our practical excuses getting in the way of seeing God's glory and taking hold of the blessings that he has for us? Do we think that God can only work in one way that fits in our little box and if He doesn't work in that one way, then He won't work at all?

Do we want to see His glory? Do we trust Him enough to let Him do things His way? Do we believe?

"May divine love deliver our souls from this net of unbelief, which so easily entangles us."
(C. H. Spurgeon)

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Samantha said...

So, I have a lot to say, but I will try to keep it brief :)

a. Love the topic of unbelief. It's something the Lord is teaching me, specifically with prayer and asking for big things. I am working on my own blog post about it, so I will say no more and you can read my thoughts when I finish that.

b. Love the Old Testament. LOVE LOVE LOVE studying such a powerful and saving God! I love the view that Isaiah has of God (specifically Isaiah 6) in that He is majestic and we should look on Him with awe.

c. The verse that came to mind when you talked about the floodgates of heaven is Malachi 3:10. "And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need." That's ESV; in NIV it uses the word "floodgates." It's referring to tithing and not robbing God but trusting Him when you give Him what he requires. A tad different context, but still such a wonderful image!

Anonymous said...

I see a book in the making! Your insight is so encouraging and I do praise God that He sent you to Eric and our family. Unbelief! Oh, what a thorn in the flesh!!!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Becke', Unbelief is very subtle and at times almost ellusive (?sp) in our lives. We have been studying Ruth and have gained new perspective (hopefully not temporaty) 1. God cares about our lives and is moment by moment involved. 2. God provides for all our needs, children, food, husband... 3. God is in control, providentially in control. Ruth and Boaz were ordinary at best. True, their great great grandson was King David and they were part of the earthly heartiage for Christ. But they did not know that would happen. Only God knows his plan and nothing Ruth, Boaz or Naomi could change it...not even unbelief.
Uncle Jeff