Thursday, March 31, 2011

Have You Considered...

For me, writing is an addiction.  It is holy.  It is how I process who God is and how on earth by His grace I am supposed to reflect His glory.  Writing is healing.  Uplifting.  Joy Giving.

I woke up this morning at 5 am (no, that never happens) tempted to get up and write.  It is a craving, but the craving for another hour and a half of sleep won this round.  God gave me something to write about in the wee hours of the dawn, and I agreed, thankful that it would take a little research so that I wouldn't feel guilty about going back to sleep.

I love to write.  But I am not a good storyteller.  I have shied away from the art of story because, well, details and characters and plots are not my thing.  Researching Hebrew and Greek is a little more down my alley, even if I am in the early phases of learning.

So, when God gave me the idea to write about my Great Grandparents, from the perspective of my Great Grandfather, I was a little terrified.  I don't do story.  Not in the written word and definitely not in the spoken word.

I think God is keeping things simple for me.  He told me to tell my small story from the standpoint of my Great Grandfather's last day on earth.  This is a little tricky since I wasn't there nor was I inside the head of my Grandpa Pitts.

So, I think it will be a story embellished with who I knew him to be.  Part of me thinks all the details have to be perfect and the other part of me thinks that I will never sit down and write about him if I continue with that thinking.

On a different subject...

Last night, Eric asked Eli what story from the Bible he wanted to read.  The little guy chose Job.  I mean, really???  Eric asked him if he wanted the part of the story that Eric liked or if he wanted the beginning.  Eli chose the beginning.

Talk about a book you can wrestle over.

Sometimes hearing the Word out loud is much more powerful than reading it to yourself.  Last night proved the case.  When Eric said,  "Have you considered my servant..."  I had to pause.

Satan's authority falls under the governance of our Sovereign God.  We can rest in that.

But, does God know that we fear Him enough that He can freely offer us up for a period of testing?

Does that seem like a curse more than a blessing?  Once again, His ways are not our ways. 

I think we want to know if it was worth it.  For Job, who was stripped from loved ones, possessions and health, when the end of the testing came, was it worth it?

And I think that he might say that to know God in the right way...to know Him as Jehovah Tsidkenu (God our righteousness) is worth any loss that Satan throws our way. 

Do I fear God or fear the possible circumstances?  Am I one of whom God might say, "Have you considered my servant...?"

And that is scary to even type.  But, should it be?

No comments: