Friday, January 23, 2009

Worshipping Through the Hymns

I grew up in a church where hymns were the choice of genre' when singing to our Savior. Now, I attend a church where praise and worship songs are thrown into the mix. What can I say, I love both. But, there is something about a group of songs that stand the test of time. Some written 200 plus years ago are still voiced today. The sad thing about praise and worship songs are that they won't be deemed "classic" and therefore will more than likely be forgotten in a few years. I am not sure what makes a song stand the test of time...except that maybe it is because it has been sung through the ages. The words of the hymns become prayers of our hearts. As I memorized these songs as a little girl, I didn't realize the profound impact the words would later have on me as I matured and became able to grasp the depths of them. It makes me ashamed that I haven't done a better job of making sure my boys hear the hymns so that they can become a part of who they are, as well.

Here are some verses of hymns...little snippets that reverberate with me.

1. Soon we'll reach the shining river, soon our pilgrimage will cease; soon our happy hearts will quiver with the melody of peace.

2. When with the ransomed in glory His face I at last shall see, Twill be my joy thro' the ages to sing of His love for me.

3. The Lord has promised good to me, His word my hope secures; He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures.

4. Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee; let the water and the blood, from Thy wounded side which flowed, be of sin the double cure, save from wrath and make me pure.

5. Lord Jehovah reigns in majesty, We will bow before His throne; we will worship Him in righteousness, we will worship Him alone.

6. No more dying there, we are going to see the King....Hallelujah! We're going to see the King.

7. The blood that Jesus shed for me, way back on Calvary; the blood that gives me strength from day to day; it will never lose its power. It reaches to the highest mountain. It flows to the lowest valley. The blood that gives me strength from day to day, it will never lose its power.

8. I heard about His healing, of His cleansing pow'r revealing, how He made the lame to walk again and caused the blind to see; and then I cried, ""Dear Jesus, come and heal my broken spirit," and somehow Jesus came and bro't to me the victory.

9. My sin-oh the bliss of this glorious thought: my sin not in part, but in whole...is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul.

10. When thro' fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply; the flame shall not hurt thee; I only design thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

Hmmm, good stuff! What is a line or two of your favorite hymn?

3 comments:

Cassie said... said...

I don't know, I think a song can only stand the test of time & become a classic if it has the chance to stand the test of time. I can tell you right now, when I am 90 I will still be singing "because we believe" and "as the deer". I love Amazing Grace and other oldies too, but the praise and worship style worship is a part of who we are as a generation and I think it will be here long after we are gone.

Little Oak Table said...

we have the whole flaxseed and it is GREAT.

we sprinkled it over rice and it was nice and crunchy.

tasty in cereal too. even the kiddies like it.

the healthy sesame seed is what i call it.

In His Army said...

I love the hymns I heard growing up and love to sing them to my kids. My dad has been the music director for as long as I can remember in my home church, and one of my favorite things was on Sundays nights he would occasionally allow the congregation to request songs from teh hymnals. Here are some of my favorites:

There is power, power, wonder working power
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is power, power, wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb.
Would you be free from your passion and pride?
There's power in the blood, power in the blood;
Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide;
There's wonderful power in the blood

Jesus Name above All Names, Beautiful Savior, Glorious Lord,
Emmanuel, God is with Us, Blessed Redeemer, Living Word

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Beulah Land I'm longing for you,

and someday on thee I'll stand.

There my home shall be eternal.

Beulah Land, Sweet Beulah land

Now, I also love the current praise and worship music as well. I've got so many favorites!