Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Dolphin Excursion

When I was a little girl, I swore I was going to work with dolphins in some way or another when I grew up. Sea World was my favorite destination and my heart would leap into my chest every time I saw a dolphin jump out of the water. Now that I am all grown up, God didn't give me a career out of Sea World, but He still fills my heart with delight when I get to feast upon a dolphin or two.

This was the boy's first dolphin excursion/boat ride and they were amazed. It is always fun to share one of your own passions with your children and then see their eyes light up when the sense of wonder seems to overtake their very beings.

As soon as we hopped onto our boat, it started to rain. I wasn't so worried about us getting wet, but my camera was a different story. I was about to find out if my Lowepro camera bag was indeed waterproof. As we traveled farther out, the rain stopped and alas, the camera was saved.

The dolphins didn't jump as much as usual. I guess they don't care to be frisky when it is uber cloudy outside. But, the little taste that we did get was enough to praise God for once again pouring delight into this little soul of mine.

The boat ride was absolutely delightful. I was curious as to whether the boys would get bored on a 2 hour ride, but they were enthralled with every moment and were totally caught up in our adventure.

My heart broke for Captain Richie, as he talked about the pending oil doom. I wondered just how badly his family would be affected if things turned for the worse.

So, here is to boat rides, fresh air, family, and a special little thing called a dolphin!






2 comments:

Three Against One said...

You and I have the same love for dolphins as I think many do! I use to LOVE to go to Sea World and see the dolphins and whales and the best was one year when we got to actually feed the dolphins and were able to touch them, still remember that feeling to this day, smooth, wet, leather!! :) I too wanted to go into Marine Biology so I could swim with the dolphins. Didn't happen but I still hope to swim with them one day.

Erica said...

I couldn't help but pull up the Gulf Shores news yesterday...made me want to cry. The news cast was on 'our' beach (you could see our condo, the state park, etc in the background. :( The people were standing in tar balls.

Every time I'm on a dive boat I go sit on the front...inevitably there will be a dolphin come swim by the front for a while, right by the edge of the boat where I am sitting. No one on the back of the boat can see it. It's like when you see a falling star by yourself and you can't help but think that God is a romantic :)