Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toy Story 3 and the endless tears...

I had promised the boys many months ago that we would go see Toy Story 3 on opening day. So, we hit the matinee and grabbed the best seats in the house. I thought I was totally ready: potty break: check
water fountain break: check
Airheads candy hidden in purse: check
cell phone off: check
Sam's blanket: check
Kleenex: missing!

No kidding. I needed some Kleenex for that movie and in a bad way. I am all for my boys growing up and leaving the house one day. Isn't that the end goal, to prepare them for life on their own?! And yet, when "Andy" left for college, it hit me. My boys are indeed going to leave one day.

All the toys that are near and dear to them now won't mean much to them in just a few years. All the laughter surrounding light saber fights, stuffed animal sporting events, Jurassic park dinosaur adventures, and of course, Buzz Lightyear to the rescue, will one day be reduced to mere memories. And for some reason, the thought of that has opened up a well of tears that has still not run dry.

Some days, I just want to capture childhood, place it in a bottle, and keep it there forever.

Yes, indeed, Kleenex would have been a nice addition to that movie. It might have even kept the 4 year old from leaning over and asking quite loudly, "Are you CRYING???" It probably didn't help matters that the seven year old wouldn't even hold my hand as we entered the theater. "I am too old for that, Mom." My response: "Well, your Dad is 38 years old and he isn't too old to hold my hand."

I need about 100 more kids. I am sure that will solve everything. I should get right on that.

7 comments:

Cassie said... said...

OMG! We watched it this afternoon. I cired the entire movie! The little tribute he paid each of his toys when he introduced them to the little girl. And the video of him playing at the beginning...I cried like a baby!

Jenny said...

Oh goodness... thanks for the warning! I could cry daily about how big my kids are getting. I just can't STAND it:(

Anonymous said...

I think there is no worse pain in the world than when a child leaves the nest...for whatever reason.

Mark and Cari said...

Becky, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that cried! It would have been nice to know that Kleenex were a must!

Anonymous said...

You see what you have to understand about my wife, Beck, is that she is a FANTASTIC mom and wife.

She loves to tickle our boys as she tucks them into bed...

loves teaching them their colors and letters...

loves reading to them...

loves going on field trips and traveling with them...

loves cheering for them at their basketball, soccer and baseball games...

loves taking pictures of them at the zoo, our at any picturesque location...

AND has loved taking care of them since day 1 of each of their lives.

You see, my wife fills the role of Proverbs 31 like a hand in a perfectly made glove, and as a result you see honor, glory and beauty all over her.

I love you Beck!

EJ

the Fosters said...

I am crying here reading what your hubby wrote!!! So sweet!

I think about my kiddos and their toys all the time. It is so fun watching them play with excitement and joy in their precious little eyes. I don't want them to ever stop playing with their trains and baby dolls. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.
(I will be sure to take Kleenex with me when we watch the movie.)

Heather said...

I almost copied your post without even knowing it!!! We saw TS3 Friday night and I cried, too. Not as much as I thought I would, though. But of course I weap about them getting big DAILY!!! :) We're going to try to come Tuesday....let me know if I can bring anything!