Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Aunt

This is my Aunt Karleen. She is my Dad's older sister. Since my Mom has no siblings, she is my only aunt...except those that married my Dad's brothers. My Dad was the youngest of 5...and quite the surprise. A good surprise, if you ask me. Karleen was old enough to dote on him as if he were her own, so I think she had a good hand in helping raise him...and I will forever love her for that.

Karleen is the most generous, compassionate, and giving person. She truly has the gift of service. She is always cooking for someone...and I happen to love it when that person is me! Her homemade noodles are to die for and she has an amazing ability at making cakes. She even made my wedding cake, transporting it 3 hours to the destination!

I admire my aunt because she managed to grow up with 4 brothers and still hold her own. She has a touch of stubbornness and sass in her and I find it quite charming. When her husband, Jackie, was alive, she was always able to keep it under check and submit to him in every way. She submitted even when she knew he was wrong and I think God has blessed her for that.

Since Jackie died, she has been able to go on many trips. She has a knack for adventure and a fearless spirit.

My aunt has a work ethic to be envied. She still runs her small farm, cooks for the small farm help she does have, and is able to serve those in her church body.

I am pretty sure that she has never failed to send me a birthday card. As a girl, there would always be a five dollar bill enclosed. She would always sign it: "love and prayers" and you knew she meant it.

One of my favorite memories was when she, Mom, and I got to fly to Florida to watch Kiley in a basketball tournament. I guess I never realized what good manners she had til then. Instead of saying she hated or didn't like a particular food, she wouldn't smile and say, "I don't care for it, thank you."

It was on the plane ride when I realized we had identical hands...thanks to my Pops/her Dad. Our knuckles are large and wrinkled and our thumbs are just plain deformed. ha! I wish I had my Mom's graceful hands (and ankles) but it is sweet for me to share something that resembles my aunt.

Here she is doing what she does best...cooking and serving!





God truly blessed me with her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Karleen checked herself into the hospital last night. She was worried it was her heart. Today they are doing a stress test.
Please, pray for her. She is simply tooooo busy to be bothered by not feeling well.

Little Oak Table said...

how sweet Becke'!!! she lookes like a sweatheart!! and those rolls, i'll be dreaming about those suckers, they looked amazing.