Monday, December 20, 2010

Big, Juicy, Colorful Fruit

I am trying to reevaluate over here.  The boys (all 5 including friends) are playing in the backyard with a broken bat.  (note to self:  add that to the Christmas list)  I have been snuggled in my oversized chair with some heavily creamed coffee and the good Book. 

It happens every year...we tend to cycle through desiring God's best.  We look at what we spend our time on.  We listen to God to see what He wants crossed off and what He wants to write down.

I thought of our community group Christmas party.  Beautiful presents wrapped in blingy paper and colorful ribbons.  Only to contain human skull piggy banks, moth balls, deer poop and seven year old abandoned wedding gifts.

A good laugh, but a let down after the deceiving wrapping.

Jesus came without any adornment.  His glory was enough for even a manger that day in Bethlehem.  The gift of Himself didn't need to be wrapped up in a pretty package.

And then there are the gifts inside each of us.  The ones given at the moment of redemption.  The Christmas card tag might say, "To:  You, my beloved...From:  the Holy Spirit...For the Purpose of:  Bringing glory to the Son of God."

Do we recognize those gifts?  Do we bury them?  Do we exploit them for our own advancement and glory?
Does the body of Christ suffer because we don't understand the gifts nor use them for the help of others?

I want more simplicity in life.  I think some things may have to be let go of so that the areas where I am gifted can be rendered effective instead of sucked up dry by all the other areas that are competing for my attention.

I don't yet know what that looks like.  But I do know that I don't have to be faithful with what hasn't been given or entrusted to me.  I can step away from those things.  But I need discernment on what those things are.

In what areas of service do you produce the biggest, juiciest, most colorful fruit?  You are beyond rich in this area because it is the Holy Spirit within you producing that fruit.  There is no room for boasting.  Or timidity.  It is probable that these areas fill you with energy and joy instead of draining you and leaving you exhausted.

Beth Moore says that we can bring our gifts to light...we can know what they are by one simple prayer:

"Give me a love for the body of Christ."

No comments: