Tuesday, December 14, 2010

One Last Christmas

My heart has been heavy for all of those that endured loss this year.  While writing names on Christmas cards, there were many names that I could no longer etch with my pen.  Those names are written down in the book of life, but I can no longer write them a letter or mail them a photo.

To those of you who are left behind, I am grieving for you.  With you.

This Christmas has been hard.  The stress coming from all sorts of attacks has been insurmountable.  Heaters going out.  Sunken floors found in rent houses.  Abandoned animals found in rent houses.  Financial drought.  Hearts that are still broken after almost three years.

I just want to get off the crazy train.  Sip some hot chocolate.  Read the Christmas story to the boys.  Have chips be my biggest temptation of the day.

And yet the tears fall.  Because I know people are broken this season.

To my great aunt Jean who lost her husband this year.  And is trying to regain strength from a shattered ankle after the car accident that brought about her husband's heart attack. 

I am choosing to remember you this season.

And to Mr. Charlie who has to do Christmas all alone this year after losing his wife to a long battle to cancer.

My heart breaks for you.

And to the Headley family who found a journal of their wife/mom who wrote only days before she passed on that she thought just maybe God might be calling her home.  It didn't matter that she was in great health.

I am thinking of you guys right now.

To the Wilson family who have had a very rough 1 year and seven months.  You just don't get over suicide.  Or an accidental shooting.

Your family has been in my constant prayers.

To the families who are trying to make ends meet and just want the holidays to be over so you can stop dishing out money to every insane little thing.

I am right there with you.

To those who cry every time they hear Matthew West's song "One Last Christmas."

I cry alongside of you.

To those of you who have dared to dream and are now trying to move on without bitterness and despair as you pick up the shattered pieces of that dream.

I know that hope is costly.

Perhaps you are in a season of life where you can sit down, relax, and be at peace with the holidays.  And that is a blessed thing!  But, will you remember that there are those around who are broken? 

A simple phone call, letter, hug, email, cup of coffee, prayer, batch of cookies, or listening ear
can mean all the difference for that person who is longing for just one last Christmas with the one they miss so dearly.