Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Manifestation

It was the Monday after Thanksgiving.  Due to the hustle and bustle of the season, I hadn't had much quality time with Jesus.  I felt like He was light years away.  I asked him to please return.  He whispered into my soul that He never left.

Why do believers go through phases of feeling like God is distant? 

His word assures us that Jesus is with us always.  (Matthew 28:20)  He tells us that in Him, we live, move, and have our being.  (Acts 17:28)

So, what is going on?  Tozer would say it is the dissimilarity of our natures.  When we don't resemble Christ, communion is difficult.

When God feels remote, it isn't because He went anywhere.  It is because we don't look very much like His Son.  Intimacy becomes impossible.

And yet, in a desire to bring us to repentance, God allows us to sense the dissimilarity.  He allows us to desire the manifest presence of Himself.  We know the theologically correct answer is that God is with us always...but we want the manifestation of His glory in our lives.  The more we look like Him, the more we can behold Him. 

Humbling. 

I so desperately need the perfection of the fellowship.

Tozer would say, "Have you any tears for your unlikeness?"

Perhaps that is just a well written line.  And then He showed me how much I don't resemble Him right now.

Where He is kind I have been harsh.
Where He is forgiving I have been resentful.
Where He is peace I have been fear.
Where He is holy I have been unholy.
Where He is steadfast love I have been conditional love.
Where He is light I have been darkness.
Where He is belief I have been unbelief.
Where He is hope I have been hopeless.
Where He is victorious conqueror I have been defeated.
Where He is discerning I have been confused.
Where He is joyful I have been angry.
Where He is patient I have been restless.
Where He is self controlled I have been out of control.
Where He is compassionate I have been hardened.
Where He is freedom I have been shackled.
Where He is humble I have been proud.
Where He is walking by faith I have been stumbling by sight.

Are there tears for my unlikeness?

I am so unworthy.

The more of a likeness between Jesus and I, the more sweet the fellowship.

Regenerate my heart and soul.  By your Spirit, transform me into your image...

To walk by faith and not by sight.  {stoicheo:  to walk in line behind a leader}

To stand firm instead of submitting to a yoke of slavery.

Gal. 5:7  "You were running well.  Who hindered you from obeying the truth?  This persuasion is not from him who calls you.  A little leaven leavens the whole lump."

To hinder the one who hinders.

To choose grace instead of losing heart.

To look like the Lover who gave it all...

To experience the manifest presence of that Lover...

To be marked by manifestation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely a wonderful post babe!!!!

Love ya

EJ

Cassie said... said...

great post