Monday, December 15, 2008

Ahhh, a wonderful Monday, indeed!

I am watching pure ice cover our streets and I am as giddy as can be. My kids got out of school early and they are all tucked in their rooms for rest and nap times. The Christmas tunes of "First Call" are filling my ears while Mandarin Orange hot tea and freshly baked Snickerdoodles are filling my tummy. The scents of my new Old Navy candles are lingering in the air (thanks Kim!) Almost all of my shopping and wrapping is completed. If dear husband would come home, then all would be complete.

Speaking of dear husband needing to come home in the midst of a winter storm, it reminds me of almost 6 years ago when we were blessed he came home at all. It had been one of the craziest days of our lives, and it had just begun. We had spent all day moving into our "new to us" home. I was exhausted because baby #2 was only 6 weeks old! As soon as Eric left to go teach a night class in Little Rock, I discovered our hot water tank was leaking...rapidly! Eric's Dad came over to help me drain it. The problem was that a winter storm was on its way, and no plumber in his right mind would come over to fix it...much less install a new one. So, without hot water, I was left with no option but to go stay with Eric's parents. In the middle of all of this...about 6:05 pm, the BLIZZARD came. (Blizzard for Arkansas standards...work with me here!) I immediately called Eric to tell him he better cancel class and begin the journey home! He had already turned off his phone, so I started praying and packing us up.

The snow hit so fast and hard that it stretched the 10 minute drive to my in laws into almost an hour. Well, it felt that long! I was sooooo tense driving with a newborn and 2 1/2 year old in the slippery mess. It felt so good to reach their home and be safe. Now, if only we could get Eric home!

I don't remember what time he called to say that he was on his way home...it wasn't too late...but a few minutes after that, I got the dreaded call that he had wrecked. I can't recall all of the details. I know he slid off the embankment and down a hill and crashed into a tree. The driver's side was totally smashed in. He lost his glasses in the crash. No one stopped to help him so he had to walk back up the embankment and find a gas station to wait at. He did this blindly since his glasses were lost.

His Dad and brother decided to venture out and rescue him! We loaded them down with a trillion cell phones, blankets, water bottles, etc, and off they went. I think this was around 8 pm. We didn't see them again until 2 or so in the morning. We had been praying hard all night. I remember looking at my newborn and thinking that I really wasn't up to raising my boys by myself. But, praise God, they rescued my man and brought him back to me!

So, now, when things get a bit icy outside, it really does my heart good when my family is nicely tucked indoors...all together!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Whoa, that'd really be scary. Good thing God was on your side, huh? Sounds like you are having a wonderful day relaxing where it's warm with all kids snuggled in as well!!

Our schools here aren't cancelled, in fact, they made them play outside for 40 minutes at recess even though it had been raining all morning, the wind was whipping, the temperature was below freezing, and the wind chill was around 19. Give me a break!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just reading that story had me stressed out and tense! Makes a heart swell in gratitude to God!

Jeremy came home early from work (in LR) b/c of the sleet!
My house is warm and cozy, my kids are napping.... and that's where I'm heading too!!

Heather said...

AMEN! I get so scared when anyone I know is stuck out somewhere in the ice/snow. Too many days working as a reporter and covering all the bad news that it brings, I guess.