Friday, December 12, 2008

Trying to Obey....lest I get the Shoulder Death Grip

This past Tuesday, a sweet couple in our church lost their precious son. He died way too early, at an age way to similar to Kiley's. While I am thankful that God has removed my burden over my sister's death, I was not eager to force myself into a room of mourning and grief. Even after 10 months, the bile still raises up and the dam that holds back the reservoir of tears threatens to break once again when put into a situation where I am forced to feel again. Eric wanted us to attend the visitation, and while I wanted to support this family, secretly, I was coming up with ways that I was going to get out of it.

All day yesterday, I wrestled back and forth with the Lord on this. I would tell him that it would be easier to not find someone to watch the boys and that I would just send Eric by himself to represent our family. Every time I had this discussion with the Lord, He would come back with "go." Not just "go" but "GO!!!" The last time I uttered my great idea to Him, He said "GO" and then my shoulder was struck with the most awful nerve pain in the world. It definitely got my attention! It made me think that He was literally grabbing my shoulder and giving it a little (OK, painful!) squeeze.

I sighed and said, "OK, Lord, I will go, but ONLY if you give me a specific verse...right now!" (Maybe my attitude was just a tad sassy considering I had just been released from my death grip!) I turned my Bible open to Psalm 23 and these words popped off the page: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

So, go I did. The Lord was faithful and He did comfort while I was there. I am not sure why my presence was imperative in this situation, but just maybe it was comforting for this couple and the young man's wife.

If you think to, please say a prayer for this young man's wife, parents, and all others who loved him.

1 comment:

blessedpath said...

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing about how the Lord moves in others lives too. I am always so amazed how when you ask him for wisdom, bam, you open up your bible and you read exactly what you need to hear. Why does it amaze me so EACH time. I know He is Emmanuel. I think if I would get in the word daily (a big prob. of mine) I would have more of these WOW moments!! Love how He gave you shoulder pain, like a mom or dad giving his child the love SQUEEZE when they aren't listening!!! I will be praying for that family.