Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Favorite Mouse


Ahhh, what a wonderful book for children. "The Tale of Despereaux" by Kate DiCamillo does not disappoint. Cade received this 269 page book last Christmas from his great grandparents. Trying to think of a way to get him to read it took almost a year, but alas, the perfect opportunity presented itself. The tale came out in a movie!

I decided that this was a wonderful opportunity to allow the boys to read a (quite large) book and then be rewarded by seeing it visually. So, we broke it up into 10 chapters a day. The three of us either snuggled in our big chair or on Cade's bed and read for about an hour each time. This was a little bit of a stretch for a 5 year old, but Eli managed well and is now excited to see the movie.

The story is full of wonderful themes such as forgiveness, redemption, and courage. True love wins in the end. Throw in a little soup, and you have yourself the perfect story. My favorite quote was, "There ain't a body, be it mouse or man, that ain't made better by a little soup."

One part of the book had my voice shaking and tears falling...but it is a great reminder that everyone needs to be loved and be asked what it is that their hearts desire.
So, off to the movies we go....when matinee' prices are in session!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I had been wondering about the book/movie. Alot of "kids" movies are hyped up... and then include things I don't want my kids to read/see/hear.
We'll check it out... though we might do the reverse with Bryton- see the movie, then gradually do the book.
Merry Christmas!

Three Against One said...

I have heard that this is a wonderful story, I can't wait to see the movie. I will wait a few years before we read the book. I LOVE your new family pic!! Have a merry Christmas!