Thursday, December 18, 2008

O Holy Night!

Ummm, I did not just put four different versions of O Holy Night on my Playlist! I had to make myself stop there...sadly neglecting Nat King Cole, Charlotte Church, Josh Groban, Mercy Me, and Il Divo.

What can I say, it is maybe my all time favorite song and for sure, my favorite Christmas song. The notes are just glorious and the words bring sheer joy to my heart. I love this time of year because it allows me to listen to my song over and over again. It also allows me to take a trip down sweet memory lane.

When I was just a wee little lass...a whoppin' 20 years of age, my knight in shining armor decided to propose and win me forever. He was quite the charmer. He took me to downtown Fayetteville, where the square was lit up with a trillion lights. We had gone the previous year and had the joy of taking a ride in a horse-drawn carriage. Eric thought it would be perfect if he used that same idea for a perfect proposal. But guess what? There were NO horses or carriages that year! It was January 3rd, and so maybe they had gone home for the year. I was trying to play along as if I had no clue about his intentions, but I could really tell that he was distraught about this new development. We decided to walk around and see everything and then sit on a park bench and talk.

There was the most lovely Christmas music playing in the background. God is so sweet and caring and invested in even the tiniest details, I am telling you! Would you believe that MY song came on right as he proposed? I mean, it may as well have been angels singing at the sound of our news! The sweetest thing was that Eric had refrained from kissing me until the night we became engaged. In a way, it was our own little "Holy Night!" His lips were pure honey and we agreed that a quick engagement might be the best thing! :)

So, I tag you! If you are married, what is the story of your engagement?

5 comments:

Samantha said...

No engagement story yet in my life, but I do have to say that yours is really sweet. The Square is so beautiful when it is all lit up! Me and my friends went this year on the day that they lit it, so we all counted down from 10 and saw the parade and such :)

And I will be at church Sunday! Finally! It's been since.. August I think. Are you singing for the Christmas service?

Becke' said...

No... not singing, Sam. Kinda glad to have a week off and I can focus on being with my family!!

Samantha said...

That will be nice. I will see y'all there though!

Kim said...

Awwww, you still sound so in love. That's just very sweet, Becke'. Jason took me hiking at Petite Jean. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me and I was wearing loafers. Plus, we had a little hitch in ours too. He couldn't remember which trail led down to the waterfall. It was sooo funny. I, too, could tell he was a little perplexed, so I just followed his lead until we finally made it down to the waterfall (excitement building the entire time). It was as if the Lord held everyone away until after he proposed and then a whole crowd appeared out of nowhere. He had written me the sweetest letter ever and got down on one knee asking me to spend my life with him. Good memories!!!

Kirby said...

I'll let you know in a few years... I guess the good news is I still have plenty of time to come up with the "perfect idea."