Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Glory Thief

The Holy Spirit has been all over me concerning a topic lately. When I heard a message on Sunday that dealt with the same issue, I thanked Him that He had already helped me deal with some things so that I wouldn't have to sit there and listen in shame.

I tend to walk a fine line between self thoughts that either brutally slay my inner being or thoughts that lift myself a bit higher than I should be seen. I have been begging God to help me come to a balance, to have thoughts of myself that are humble and yet not self deprecating. I think in humility, we aren't thinking of ourselves, but of others, including our Maker. And that is the whole point, isn't it? That things really aren't about us anyway.

I have found myself knee deep in projects that I want to lay at the feet of Jesus as an offering and blessing to his name. I wouldn't have even started these things if it weren't to point to His glory and fame. But, I hang my head in shame and tell you that somewhere deep inside, I wouldn't have minded if just one morsel of God's glory pie fell down from the heavens and landed in my lap to savor. (And don't think that the last sentence wasn't hard to write. I am trying to keep it real, in a world where reality isn't always pretty. But, in the truth, is where our God can meet us and transform us more and more into the likeness of His Glorious Son. So, my pride just has to take a back seat for this post.)

God doesn't share His glory with anyone. I have been reading a lot about John the Baptist and I am so very humbled by his attitude toward his Savior. John proclaimed he was unworthy to even be a slave to Christ...he didn't consider himself worthy enough to even stoop down and untie his sandals.

He was later asked if he was jealous of Christ since Christ was receiving a huge following. John the Baptist says the most amazing thing. He says that his joy has been made complete because he fulfilled his calling in life which was to prepare people for the Messiah. He isn't afraid to slip off onto the sidelines. He isn't looking for accolades at being "the one" who helped others see that the Messiah would soon be in their presence. He simply says, "He must become greater; I must become less."

I am reminded of the triumphal entry of Christ in Jerusalem where people spread out their cloaks and garments onto the road. Since Christ is riding a donkey, it seems to me that they weren't concerned that their clothing might get ruined. Perhaps they weren't thinking about themselves at all, but just the King who was making himself known to them.

I also think of Psalm 84:10 that says, "One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship, beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches. I'd rather scrub floors in the house of my God than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin." (The Message.)

I know a little something about scrubbing floors. One time, my in-laws were without a mop and since I clean their house, I couldn't leave their floors undone. So, I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the tile that is in three bathrooms, a hallway, a huge kitchen, and a laundry room. My back will never be same! And yet, this psalmist says that he would gladly scrub floors incessantly just to be a part of God's house.

Humbling. I often think of God's house and heaven as a place where things will get better for me, not a place where I can more actively serve my King. Would I be content to scrub the floors of heavenly mansions for eternity if it meant that I could be in His presence everyday?

We had a great guest pastor in church Sunday. That is where the title of the post comes from. He says that ever since Eve and Adam took a bite of the forbidden fruit, longing to be like God, we have all been little glory thieves ever since. He says that the wages of any type of glory theft will result in death. Any project I have will result in death if the motivation of my heart is to receive even the smallest morsel of glory.

One verse that is going to hopefully help me keep things in perspective is 1 Corinthians 3:7: "So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." If I understand the Greek word for "anything," then it means "something." I can't be "something" and make much of Christ at the same time. He simply doesn't share His glory.

I asked God on how to proceed with one of my projects and I think He made it very clear. For Testament Focused, (God willing that it becomes a book!), I am going to give 100% of profit/proceeds to Soaring Wings Ranch. Hopefully then, this little glory thief, who isn't anything, will be able to slip off onto the sidelines as God becomes "Something" to these kids who need his healing touch.

Become greater as I become less, God.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Great post. I share the same struggle and really came face to face with it this weekend myself. Long story short, I am praying fervently that I learn to embrace the gifts and talents that God has given me and stop apologizing for them. On the same token, however, I want to embrace them with humility and grace. Ah! It's a tough lesson!

Jenny said...

Great, great post!

Nic said...

Very good post and I do believe we all struggle with this. Thank you for sharing =)

Paige said...

thanks for putting into words my feelings...do you read other people's minds or just mine?