Monday, December 7, 2009

Wrestling With God Over a Coat

Yesterday when I walked into church, I noticed a large brown cardboard box with a sign that said, "Coats for the Homeless." Immediately, the Holy Spirit whispered, "You have a coat to give." I knew exactly what coat He was talking about and I told Him, "Oh, please, not that coat. Any coat but that one."

I tried to wash the idea away, but He kept bringing it to mind. I decided to beg Him for a verse that told me to specifically give that coat away. But, He gently whispered into my heart and told me that I knew His heart on the matter and that I didn't need any extra words.

I looked at the coat this morning. It was black wool and 3/4 length. It was timeless and classy. It was my sister, Kiley's. And it was too big for me to wear. Believe me, I would much rather offer my coat and keep hers, but it simply didn't fit.

I was reminded of the words we sang in church yesterday called "Turn Down the Music":

"If you were naked, would we give you clothes?
If you were an orphan, would we give our home?
And if you were in prison, would we visit you?
What would be the song we'd sing to you when they're in need?
Would it be an empty hallelujah to the King?

Matthew 25:38-40 says, "When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

I love how the Message puts it: "Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me."

It probably sounds ridiculous that I would wrestle with God over a coat. But, the act of giving away my sister's coat meant that I had to say goodbye to her and let go all over again. Funny thing is, my sister wouldn't be able to stand for someone to be out there shivering in the cold if it could be avoided! I knew my sister's heart matched that of Jesus, I just needed to get mine on board, as well.

Perhaps the best gifts are those that cost us something. 1 Chronicles 16:29 says, "Bring an offering and come before him; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness." I could have offered up hundreds of dollars for a new coat, but the Lord knew that only one coat would truly cost me. Only one coat would be a true offering.

In the heartache but satisfaction that comes with obedience, I offer up a prayer for the lady that God will drape in a classy black wool coat:

May you be kept warm this winter, but more than that, I pray that God will place a robe of righteousness on you and that you will see Jesus as the light of the world, the only One who can bring true warmth to your soul. And if you already know Jesus as Savior, I pray that He would infuse you with hope for the days to come.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I am sure your sister is so proud of you right now. The person who ends up with that coat will be so blessed.

Amelia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli said...

What a great lesson, Becke. I love your transparency!

Little Oak Table said...

Becke'.

Wow.

You are such a great example of listening to the still small quiet voice.

blessedpath said...

So amazing. Also a great reminder to us all, not to hold on too tightly to things, but rather onto Him. you will be greatly blessed in return for your obedience. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Becky Lockett said...

It seems you always have the right thing for me to hear. Thank you for being the kind of woman and friend who inspires me!

Anonymous said...

Beck, you are a Godly woman who seeks the Father's heart.

I love you very much!

Eric

the Fosters said...

Wow!! That is a wonderful, yet I am sure, hard thing to do! I pray the lady that gets Kiley's coat will come to know the Lord if she doesn't already. I pray she will keep warm in the wool coat during this cold winter. And I pray she will be blessed by that coat in some way.