Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Because I promised you dreadlocks.

And here he is.  I bought up tons of more picture space, so whoop, the blog is good to go!
 This was my first race experience.  I guess I had an idea in my head of what it would entail, but the experience is so much more fun!  The first few people that make it through (our station was after mile 10) are sooooooo intense.  They were running quite fast and wouldn't even slow down to take the trade off for the drink.  Which meant that most of the time, the drink went crashing to the ground during the tradeoff...and they kept right on going.  Hello?  Hydration???  The first guy to make it to our stop looked he was from Kenya and probably was.  He wasn't even breaking a sweat, people!  He had this nice long stride and it looked like he had been born to do this...which, I have, no doubt of.  If a person can run beautifully, then he had it mastered.  He made it past the 10 mile mark in one hour.  One hour.  One hour.  Goodness.

The next thing that cracked me up is that everyone throws their cup on the ground after slamming whatever liquid into their mouth as will allow in one fatal swoosh.  The first time I saw this, I thought, "Now that is the rudest thing I have ever seen.  Here we are serving you, and you just throw the cup and remainders of the cup right at our feet."  I guess nothing is supposed to interrupt your gait/or whatever you call it.  Stride, now that sounds better.  (I definitely rode horses growing up instead of running.)

Another fun thing was to see how everyone was dressed.  Some people were barely dressed at all...in fact I was thankful they wore a sports bra, ya know?  Others sported things like dreadlocks and angel wings.  Not at the same time, although that one would have taken the cake.



 Here is miss E.  She was one of our sign makers.  I told her to smile with her teeth and this is what I got.  I deserved that one.  Miss E is one of those little girls that absolutely steals my heart every time I feast my eyes on her.  Her big brown eyes do me in every single time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Miss E!!! I'm glad to know I'm not the only sucker for those eyes--- I have no defenses against them. Something I need to work on!! :) Love these pics of the race-- boy, it was fun.

PS I CANNOT believe that pic of you and your little clone!!! Too precious. Jen