Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Grace

I want to be a gracious person.

Today I found myself about to be anything but.

Well, maybe not even about to be...maybe all day I found myself in circumstances that brought out my flesh and not the part of me that is supposed to resemble my Redeemer.

I had tracked down a place that sells bare minerals makeup.  I had about 15 minutes to spare before I ran to get Sam.  I told her the shade I needed.  She then went thru every single jar (which were stored in tall glass apothecary jars) trying to find my shade.  To no avail.

So, we spent some time trying to find a shade that might work.  I told her repeatedly that I can't wear "Light" because it is too dark in the winter.  So, we decided on "Fair." 

I quickly bought my purchase and made a bee line for the school.  I decided to look at the makeup for the hay of it and what do you know?  LIGHT.

Anger welled up in me so fast that it was as if I had been transformed into some mean Transformer. 

I was shocked at how angry I was.

And then I heard God say, "Are you going to choose to be gracious?"

I have been reading some about grace over at chatting at the sky.

I have been thinking more and more about how I choose to respond to situations and people.

Grace or no grace.

He loves me, He loves me not.

I am so glad He chose grace.

I am so glad He loves me.

Is it not the least I can to do extend it to others?

And yet, I find myself so angry at people's incompetence.

And I find myself angry at myself  for being angry at people's incompetence.

Goodness knows I mess up all the time and desperately need people to be gracious with me.

I returned the makeup.  I chose my words more carefully.

I decided to choose grace.

How do you define grace in our every day circumstances?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It truly is a choice and some days it is a harder choice than others. The saying around our office is the milk of human kindness is beginning to curdle. It is good to acknowledge the dilemma and to recognize your own depravity in the situation.

Anonymous said...

a beer usually makes everything better.

naw,i'm just kidding.

kinda.

i also find that taking 5 one dollar bills and raking in at yard sales really does help me feel gracious towards mankind.

and lots of good mexican.

anna