Friday, March 21, 2008

Adventures at Kohls

The Friday before Easter is never really a good time to go shopping. But, alas, I always tend to forget this. So, me and the rest of Conway were at Kohls today...hopelessly trying to find something to wear for Easter. It is not even supposed to be warm on Sunday, but my precious Mommy ingrained in me that we always get new and gorgeous dresses to wear on Easter. Back then, the most beautiful dresses were by a maker called "guinnea sacks". I really don't think I spelled that right...Mom can correct when she responds! Anyway, they were the definition of "femininity" for little girls...frills and lace...done in a very vintage style. Back then, it was pretty easy to be able to wear whatever dress came in your size. Now, 3 kids later...not so much. For some reason, every dress out there is made in some rayon slingy spandex material that is not very forgiving on rolls and bumps and booties! So, I went for the pants...I know...it is like sin of all sins to wear pants on Easter Sunday. But, don't worry, I won't fall to far...those didn't fit either. Then, I had visions of chocolate chip cookies, brownies, yellow cake with icing, and all of the other goodies that I have been stuffing my face with. And then I had a vision of my lonely treadmill in the garage...just waiting to go for a stroll. I refused to go a size "up", so I will have to go back to my closet and go from there. Which probably means that I will have on black pants...sheesh! When I am singing on stage Sunday in black pants, it will not be because I am grieving (except for the loss of my 21 year old figure.) I will be celebrating with all my might that Christ is ALIVE!
OK, so back to Kohls...as I entered the dressing room, this lady was leaving and I heard her mutter, "God grant me the serenity!" I almost laughed...do people really go around praying that prayer? Not that it isn't a good one, but I would have opted for something like, "Lord, why on earth do you make chocolate chip cookie dough taste so stinkin' good if it has to go right to my hips???" After I walked out of the dressing room, I took Eli potty. I went in with him to get him situated. I had given him a piece of gum to chew earlier. He looked at me and said (no lie), "Can you hold my gum?" I burst out in laughter. "You mean to tell me you can't chew gum and pee at the same time?" I knew he was of the male gender. I kindly told him to pee while not chewing...but I was not going to hold his gum for him. Crazy!

It was a nice "Good Friday." Barbara kept Sam so I could take Eli to see "Horton Hears a Who." (Very cute...so is August Rush in case you were wondering.) Eric and Cade bought some tickets from Todd and Michelle to the tournament games this afternoon at Alltel. Cade LOVED that! Just in case you were wondering, I am in first place in the picks in our family. I had to throw that in while I could, because I am sure that it will change! Tonight we went to church for the crucifixion dinner. We nailed cards onto a cross that had our names on them and reasons we were thankful that Christ died on the cross. I just couldn't stop coming up with things...my little note card did not have enough space to contain my gratefulness. Thank you, Jesus.

4 comments:

The Moore's said...

I so appreciate your trip to Kohls! For some reason, I thought it would be fun to go out to the Promenade for a "shopping stroll" with Topher and the girls today. We were the cutest little family...spring outfits, huge pink bows in hair (not mine...or Topher's!), and Esther was even pushing her little stroller behind me with her stuffed animals in it. Meanwhile, Esther had such a freak out, refuse to move, big tears fit about getting a regular Auntie Ann's pretzel as opposed to the pretzel sticks that people thought she was a poor little girl who lost her mommy! Yikes.

Little Oak Table said...

beck that is the funniest post ever! it is so sweet that you and eli got to go to the movies just the two of you. it's almost midnight and i was like, "oh yeah, must find something bright & cheerful to wear tommorow"...you know i'm wanting to wear those gray sweatpant things i've been sporting with the old navy tshirt that says "lamour is not easy to say" and it's not. it's almost as hard as peeing and chewing gum at the same time, but not quite. don't worry though. i will make myself put on my black pants yet again :)! and i'm with you...don't let these black pants decieve you, it's a great day!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, Gunne Sax dresses!!! I believe we bought Gunne Sax by Jessica McClintock...there is actually a store in San Francisco that still sells them and Wedding Dresses in that style...wouldn't they be beautiful?...so vintage...old lace, buttons all the way down the back and on the sleeves, etc. You can scope them out online!
Well, I was a sinner on Sunday too...I wore black pants to church as well...it was Soooo cold up here
You never thought you would see the day did you???
Friday, as I was getting ready, I was listening to my new Kari Jobe CD(Thanks Brit) singing along, crying...and I just cried out "God,how could you stand to step back and allow them to crucify your son, watch him die...you Must have wept great tears"...then I heard in my head these words...."So that you could have the assurance of where YOUR daughter is now" Thank You Jesus.

MOM

Anonymous said...

Yea, I wore black pants too. I wanted to wear my white pants, but I didn't have my white shoes with me. Unfortunate too, cause I look pretty good in those white pants!