Friday, March 21, 2008

Pondering Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday

Without the events of the weekend that we are remembering and celebrating, we Christians would be "up a creek", as we southerners like to say. Sure, Christmas is a priceless thing to celebrate...Immanuel, God with us. What priceless love to send your only Son into this world. But, Easter...Christ being so engrossed with His Father that He would be willing to be obedient to death on a shameful cross...what love. After spending a lot of time in the book of John, I have almost been shocked at how often Jesus talks about his Father. I don't know how many times Jesus says he loves the Father and does whatever he commands. It about breaks my heart when in the book of Mark, Jesus is on the cross and calls his Father not Abba, but God--Eloi. How utterly shameful to have the weight of the world's sin on your shoulders and be stripped from the intimacy of the Father-Son relationship. Such love that Jesus had for his Father, to be so obedient. One of my favorite parts of the crucifixion story is when the curtain of the temple is torn, from top to bottom. Glory! Jesus is our high priest and we know longer need a Jewish priest (or catholic one for that matter) to make intercession for us! We can boldly approach the throne of grace with confidence, thanks to Jesus! I love the fact that Jesus came to show us that His Father's grand story is all about the restoration of relationship, not a list of rules with a mindset of condemnation.

I can't imagine what his disciples were thinking on the day after Jesus died. Did they feel they had been dooped? Is that a word? Did their faith hold firm in the uncertainty...after all, He proclaimed to be the Messiah. According to their scriptures, wasn't this Messiah supposed to be King...present day...overthrow the Romans...and redeem them from harsh governments? What was going through their heads? I know that if I had been a disciple back then, my faith would have been wavering...the death of our King just doesn't fit into the plan! I know that my faith wavers even today. The death of my sister?? What on earth are you thinking, Lord? I know that good things are coming...and for one, resurrection! But, it still doesn't stop me from having crying fits of anger directed at the One who could have done things differently. I must force myself to believe that He is still good and still has a marvelous plan.

Easter morning....the Passover lamb had taken away the sins of the world. Did people even have a clue? Ater He speaks to Mary and tells her not to hold onto him, He says He is returning "to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." Praise be to His name, his death and resurrection made this possible!

I am so thankful that because of the cross and Christ's obedience to His Father, He now has conquered death...not just for Himself, but for all who believe. He accomplished his purpose of unity and of showing us the Father. Thank you, Jesus.

Happy Easter!

No comments: