Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekend Highlights

We got to go see my family in NWA over spring break for 4 days! It was such a treat for me! On Thursday, Eric kept the boys so I could go visit uninterrupted with two precious friends. One is at a good time in life and is now in Scotland with her hubbie on vacation. The other is not in a great time of life, but she is in the care of the Almighty, under the shadow of His wings and resting in His grace and Sovereignty. It was very sweet for me to see them. I love the fact that God makes us relational and gives us friends to go on the journey with us...whether thru joyous times or downright hard ones.

Mom has Fridays off, so we got to go get pedicures and manicures...way spoilin' ourselves! We then went to see "Vantage Point" which is a great movie!!! We tried to find cute kid clothes at "Once Upon a Child," (a consignment store) but we needed Amelia with us...she is the one with the gift of finding cheap amazing things. We topped the night off with Guido's Pizza (my fave pizza in the world), making cards, and watching some of the games. Speaking of games, I picked ALL of the final four teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that deep down my husband, sons, Daddy, and brother are truly proud of me, but I think they are having to repent of some anger.....I will let God deal with them. (Just teasing....they are being great about it, especially since I am harassing every single one of them...but, I think this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and I gotta work it while I can, ya know??) Anyway, millions of homemade cards later, you shouldn't be surprised if you get one in the mail!!! HA!

Saturday was supposed to be pretty, and Eric was going to play golf, but the rain decided to flood the city once again. He graciously kept the boys (yet, again) and let me and Mom go hang out at Walmart til Amelia got off work. We then ate at Taco Bueno...I recommend the tamales, tortilla soup, and loaded queso. (Yes, I did eat all of that food.) We proceeded to shop til Mom tuckered out and then Mini and I shopped til I tuckered out. I think Amelia was disappointed that I gave out on her---but it was almost 6 pm and I get cranky when I don't eat. Tamales only last so long, ya know?? OK...tamales, queso, and tortilla soup only last so long! We then walked into the door and the smell of home cookin' greeted us...what a wonderful Saturday night smell. It happens so little in my household! After roast, the works, and a new yummy dessert, we made more cards, talked to Nana and Grandad, and watched "Sweet Home Alabama." I just love that movie!! It just may be the best romantic comedy ever.

Sunday was not as much fun. I had to go through Kiley's things and get what I wanted. I really wanted it all...not because it all fit or because I have room for it, but I just can't bear for it to leave her closet or be given to strangers. If you see me in something you don't recognize, you can tell me I am the cutest thing in the world, but please don't ask me if it is new or where I got it from! OK, I will be merciful if you do. :) It still doesn't feel real to me that she isn't there....I think it has been a "different" thing for me because I don't live in the same town and had been "used" to going a month or two without seeing her. She brought such joy and energy to our family and things just weren't the same without her presence. The hardest part of the weekend was hugging Amelia bye. She just simply gives the best hugs (and backrubs) but she wouldn't let go. I wanted to weep...and started to. Why do I have to live far away in a time like this? Mini needs me and I need her (and the rest of the fam) and I am just not as close as I would like to be. Maybe this is where the "God grant me the serenity" prayer comes in handy...see previous "Kohl's" post.

After another delicious "Mommy" meal, we packed up and headed home. The boys were happy to see a little sunshine and no rain. They played and played in the front yard til I drug Sam in kicking and screaming for his bath. I guess he wasn't ready to come in.

Thank you, Eric, for being such a kind husband and keeping the boys so much.
Thank you, Jesus, for my family...the ones on earth and in heaven.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Glad you got to spend time with your family!! I've been thinking about and praying for you guys a lot!

Little Oak Table said...

WOW! What a weekend! I don't know which highlight sounds the best, you got to do so much fun stuff. I'm glad you commented on the tamales at TB. I've been wanting to try them, but scared I might not like them. Well, this post was all it took for me to solidify that my next TB trip will involve a Tamale-you can get the a la carte you know!!! We have a VERY exciting day planned. Loads of paperwork to go through for taxes. Whooppee!!! I might need a be.. I mean a Dr.Pepper at group tonight. haha :)!