Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Chicken Carbonara....makes ya wanna kiss yo Momma!



All right, my food lovin' friends and family...this post is for you! I knew I had a winner when the recipe called for 2 1/2 cups of whipping cream. Goodness, not even half n' half for crying out loud! After I tasted one bite, I decided that this is one of my favorite new recipes. I also decided it was blog-worthy. I wish I had the gift of creating recipes, but I don't. I am thankful that I can follow a recipe, though! This pasta dish is by Giada De Laurentiis...I think I love about all of her stuff. Of course, I am by no means picky! There are probably about a week's worth of calories in the meal, but, hey, sometimes you just need a good, fattening dish of pasta. I thought I would write down the recipe for you! (PS--I had to include a picture because I hate recipes with no pics!)

Chicken Carbonara
6 main course servings

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta or bacon, chopped
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
8 large egg yolks
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 cups coarsely shredded chicken (From 1 roasted chicken)
salt
1 pound spaghetti
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest

Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute' until it is brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Cool until lukewarm. Whisk in the cream, cheese, yolks, basil, parsley, and garlic. Stir in the chicken.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring often to prevent pasta from sticking together, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 10-12 minutes. Drain.

Add the spaghetti to the cream mixture and toss over medium-low heat until the chicken is heated through and the sauce coats the spaghetti thickly, about 4 minutes (do not boil). Season the pasta to taste with pepper.

Transfer the pasta to a large, wide serving bowl. Sprinkle with the walnuts and lemon zest, and serve.



(Serves up real nice with a healthy dose of treadmill afterwards. Hee!)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! I'll have to try that one. Maybe for Nathan's upcoming birthday. I love your music on your blog. Sometimes I'll pull it up and leave it while I'm working to hear the music!

Little Oak Table said...

Heaven Help Us All!!! That looks amazing! Too bad I don't have a treadmill, a bowl of Blue Bell would have to do!