Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Snow....finally!!!














We finally got a snow day! Nevermind the fact that it is March 4th and just last Saturday was in the upper 70's. Nevermind the fact that tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's! Only in Arkansas! The boys slept in and before I could explain to Cade that his school had been cancelled, he went into a panic! Mom, it is 8 and I am supposed to be at school! Not today, dear one! Today is play in the snow day!! Whoo-hoo! Over a bowl of Cheerios, Cade told me that last year, they got out of school on February 1st because it snowed on January 31st. I asked him how he remembered that and he said he had a good brain. I guess so!

I think the funniest part of the morning was me trying to get dressed to go out. It really wasn't even THAT cold, but you would have thought I was going to be out there all day! I started with my leggings, then athletic pants, then topped them off with Eric's size 36 waist jeans that I belted about 2 inches above my belly button! It was quite a sight. I then put on a fleece coat, down vest, hat, gloves, scarf, and thick socks with my cowboy boots...that later Cade had to help me in taking off. You know that if I dressed myself that way, then the boys were cozy warm as well. Poor Sam could hardly walk. I stayed warm, except for my hands...it is hard to take pics with gloves on! Needless to say, I have spent all afternoon drying every article of clothing we own...because we were wearing it all! :) I miss owning a pair of coveralls, they make things so much more simple!

The boys loved throwing snowballs, making snow angels, and trudging through their "jungle." There wasn't enough snow to make a snowman, but it was still fun. In fact, 4 hours after our play time, the snow had just about all melted! Sam didn't want to come inside, even after I bribed him with hot (or lukewarm) chocolate. Speaking of hot chocolate, yes, those are "Easter bunny" marshmallows on top of the hot chocolate. I can't help it if God gives us snow closer to Easter than Christmas!

I have such good memories of snow days growing up. As a kid, Mom would make us snow ice cream and then warm us up with hot chocolate. We would play to our heart's content, make snickerdoodles and chocolate oatmeal drop cookies, watch movies, and enjoy skipping a day of school while not getting behind. Even as older kids, Amelia, Kiley, and I would go out in the snow just for fun pictures...I am thinking that Amelia was even barefoot in some, because it made a cuter shot! But, my memory is not as good as Cade's! In college, we would all pile into the "safest driver's" car, usually designated Lee...(what on earth???) and go to the Stuart's house. We would build snowmen, make chocolate oatmeal cookies and watch Pollyanna. Then, the girls would take naps together while the guys did who knows what. I hope my kids get to make fun snow day memories like I have gotten to.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Wasn't it fun??? I'm so thankful we had at least one good snow day!

Little Oak Table said...

1. First of all, you workin' that Sugared Plum Lipstick on the snowy backdrop-great pic of you! Thank you Merle!

2. I had to really study the hot chocolate picture. It was a great debate, did they fish the marshmellows out of a box of Lucky Charms? Easter Bunny mallows, who'dathunkit?

3. Is it even right that we broke out the kiddy pool b/c all the snow is melted and it's getting warm again?

Kelli said...

I must say, Lee is a pretty good snow driver, though he tends to sometimes be slightly overconfident, i.e., he freakin' scares me to death at times.

Anonymous said...

Everybody 'round here thought I was making up "snow ice cream."
Hah! And snow angels... yes, it used to really snow in Louisiana in winter. We'd play outside until our feet were numb. We always had big dogs (Dobermans and Labs, of all the combos) and they loved snow days, too! My brother loved anything that got him out of school.
Then, we'd pile inside for hot soup, hot cocoa, and snuggling up in front of the old space heater.
Dad would get out the model trains he prized, and we'd get to play with them for a few hours! Some of my VERY best memories are of snow days, and I hate the cold! ;)
-april

Anonymous said...

I have the pictures of you girls in the Blizzard hanging in my office at work...and yes, Amelia IS barefooted!!
I love the silence of snow...everything is blanketed in Silence, calm, peaceful...yet brisk and refreshing!
I miss "Snow Days" MOM

Little Oak Table said...

WHOO HOO!! We need to write a book on Bloggin' for Dummies!!! I'm so proud of our music :) hee hee!!! I love it! Selah was the first song that pulled up! Nice!